Faulk says Titans known for not paying players (new CJ contract)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100518/SPORTS01/5180343/2161

......."They don't know what to do — they don't want to guarantee all the money because he is a small guy and could get hurt and he could derail the organization," Faulk said. "But the Titans can't look at this like, 'It is a situation that is going to resolve itself because he is under contract.' They are already known as an organization that doesn't pay its players, and it is not just coming out of my mouth. .......''

Faulk would agree with those here that say the Titans are cheap. This CJ situation is ridiculous. The FO is pretty vapid to think the public is so obtuse as not understand "the 30% rule" they keep citing is what is keeping them from getting a new deal done.

This situation will continue to escalate in a demoralizing fashion if not corrected in the next few weeks.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. soopacee

soopacee I'm Blaine Bishop

its sad but true....this organization is nothing but cheapskates

randall godfrey......steve mcnair.....samari rolle

its like pullin teeth to pay ppl around here

my biggest peeve which i cant stress enough is, ppl holding out for more money piss me off, especially when they are already getting decent change.....but friggin Alvin Pearman makin more that CJ this year??.....some times its just obvious when you have to shell cash out.....there is no reason the titans can give why they shouldnt pay him, there is NO EXCUSE!

3. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

What about KFC? He'll get paid 10 times more than CJ to guard the gatorade. I like the fact that Titans tickets are still somewhat affordable. If they started paying guys, where do you think this money will come from? I want a superbowl just as bad as anyone, but plenty of franchises in sports have made it to the promised land while running a fiscally responsible football organization.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

In my mind, you have two issues here...

1. Should a player play under the contract he agreed to?

I have mixed feelings here because I believe in rewarding excellence. But that cuts both ways. Many of you mention Godfrey who was paid extremely well and totally under-performed due to injuries before being released. McNair was paid his contract up to the date his massive bonus was due. That bonus was put in place to force a new contract. Both sides agreed to it. Rolle? Mason? They left because the team was cap-strapped and didn't have a choice.

On the other side, I present Andre Johnson. Just about anyone who has followed his career will say he's a standout player for both his play on the field and as a teammate. Now it appears he's holding out for more money. Johnson has five years remaining on his contract and will make a base salary of $5.8 million in 2010. When he still had two years remaining on his original deal, the Texans redid it in March of 2007. He got an eight-year, $60 million package with $15 million guaranteed. Now he wants more.

What's to say CJ gets a deal and then decides it wasn't enough in 2012? Does that suddenly make him greedy if the Titans are considered cheap now?

2. The 30% rule is real and can't be ignored.

"No NFL Player Contract entered into in a Capped Year and extending into the Final League Year or beyond may provide for an annual increase in Salary, excluding any amount attributable to a signing bonus ... of more than 30% of the Salary provided for in the Final Capped Year, per year, either in the Final League Year or in any subsequent League Year covered by the Player Contract."

The only way around this is to pay him a guaranteed signing bonus. A good article on this is here (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Chris-Johnson-and-the-30percent-rule.html).

Though some of you might call it cheap. It's stupid to pay CJ the amount of signing bonus it would take to make him one of the top-paid RBs in the league. A major injury and the Titans are cap-strapped until the end of the contract.

Where I think Faulk is coming from is free agency where the Titans won't outbid teams for most players. Some call that cheap. Others call that smart when we see example after example of the Titans have extended players they want to keep (Roos, Stewart, Brown) and those they allow to walk never living up to the deals they get elsewhere.

If CJ comes to camp on time and in shape, I think the Titans will try to do something for him until the new agreement is in place. Right now, it's a bad time for both sides to be in this situation.

• High Five High Five x 7
  5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Faulk's statement suggests he isn't the only one among his peers that believes the Titans are known for not paying their players. He is referencing this CJ situation- possibly in conjunction with the team's past history but that would be an inference.

It IS significant when somebody with Faulk's credentials (and not just disgruntled posters like myself) is stating that the organization is "known for not paying its players". I don't think HIS comments can be so easily dismissed.

6. Titans Blue

Titans Blue Camp Fodder

I just hope we can take care of this situation soon because this is getting out of hand. I am usually against players holding out and that they should honor their contract but I have to stick up for the player in this case as CJ is the best back in the league with one of the lowest base salaries. IMO I think they should just give him a new contract with a big signing bonus and rip up the old contract. They can do that right? I think they can and if they can than they should because that is a way of getting around the 30% issue.

7. reo

reo Starter

They'll pay players when they can/should but they're not oppossed to letting overrated or over the hill players walk either.

McNair, Mason and Rolle were exceptions b/c they were deep in cap hell.... and everyone that paid attention knew the McNair situation was coming. Reese foolishly put a $40mill bonus into the middle of that contract in order to force the very scenario that took place. There's no way they could've paid him that bonus at that time. Everyone knew it, especially Steve.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm glad to see this issue is being taken nationally by Faulk. It will only help C.J. and truthfully only help the Titans. The Titans are their own worst enemy, and Jeff Fisher is doing all he can at this point in keeping the public misinformed of the situation. I can see C.J. staying away from Tennessee up until week-1 of September. Fisher is being clever in saying he's happy with the two rookie RB's we picked up after the draft. But for real; they're far from being able to fill C.J.'s shoes. It's also good to see Eddie George weigh in and have an opinion in this. Since his preseason work is meaningless, he's not needed til week-1 anyways. If I'm C.J. and I realize who I'm dealing with I let the team lose another few games in a row, then they might want to play ball. I keep thinking that Bud being damn near dead, he'd want a title at some point. Guess not, he seems too content making money just by teasing the Nashville fan base with a pro team. The window of opportunity is small, and C.J. has little to work with. As a fan I hate to see us lose, but losing games last year help rid ourselves of Collins. And that is a great thing for the future of the Titans. Vince Young is coming together and he alone can keep us afloat til something can be worked out with C.J..

Dumb Jeff Fisher wanted to run up C.J.'s stock but won't help get him paid, so stupid. Then he kills another backs stock, only to hand him off to his former coach, so stupid. Let's cut Fisher, then give his piece of the pie to C.J..

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I have a problem with statements that are contradicted by the facts. In 2009 our payroll was higher than the Redskins, Patriots, Cowboys, Eagles and Colts. In 2008 we had the 7th highest payroll in the league.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2009

Perception doesn't jive with current reality. We've had some high-profile departures of declining vets over salary disputes, and we've stayed away from neon-light free agents. We had a cap purge because we OVERPAID too many players. What, did Faulk try to sign with the Titans at some point or is he just trying to advertise his ignorance?

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We pay lineman, but not guys who put points on the scoreboard and win games..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar