Fantasy Football Opinions Sought For Research

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Hey guys, (and gals)...

I'm taking a public speaking class and I'm tring to gather some research. I'd like to hear some opinions and short answers as to why you play fantasy football, what led you to play, and what you feel you get out of the experience. If there are any pros/cons, please list if you choose.

Also, has fantasy football helped cultivate any relationships with friends or family? Perhaps your family, uncles, brothers, EC have a league. Does this foster interaction and bring anything of value outside of what you might typically expect, that being knowledge about stats and the players, match-ups.

Have you ever bet on your fantasy match? Really, just anything at all would be helpful. I need to be able to cite what players (participants) get out of the game as part of my research for my speech.

High fives will be doled out to helpful posts. :brow:

thanks!

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I play because it makes games I normally wouldn't give a damn about more interesting. I couldn't care less about when the Bears play the Lions, but you better believe I'll be screaming at the tv for Matt Stafford to throw the ball to Calvin Johnson.

I graduated high school about four years ago and my buddies and I have been in a league together every year, just as a way to stay in touch with everyone being scattered through Florida.

I started playing in a money league last year and continued to do so this year. Won last year(thanks Desean). It definitely makes things more competitive and keeps everyone involved, even if your team sucks.

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Don't have the time to really go too in-depth right now but I'll give some quick short answers/statements....

- The main reason I play is simple. It's fun. It's just an extra enjoyable thing to occupy myself with for a good portion of the year. And it makes Sundays a lot more exciting after the Titans game is done.
    - Con: negatively affects my sex life ( :ha: jk but I do drive the wife crazy with it sometimes)
    - I have one league with a group of friends where we all get together and do a live draft each year (been doing so for about 6 years now). We are all in our late 20's-early 30's so the days of us all having the free time to be able to hang together anytime we want has passed most of us by. It's really cool to have that one day to look forward to each year where we all get together, have some drinks and just have a blast. In a way I guess fantasy football probably helps to keep some of us in touch.
    - I've never bet on an individual matchup but have been in money leagues where everybody kicks in $20 bucks or so and the league champion gets the cash.

4. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I play in a work league and money is involved. We have a ten team league and each player puts in $100 and the person who wins the playoffs wins 80% runner up gets 20%.

I only play one league though. I know a guy who plays several different teams to which point he has almost all of the players in the league on one of his teams so he cheers for everyone.

Before I started playing fantasy football, I only followed one team, and that of course was the Tennessee Titans. Since playing fantasy football, I've gained more interest in games I would have probably passed on watching. For example, the Jets played the Phins last night and a few years ago, I would have just skipped on the game and found something else to do but last night, on a lazy sunday night, I stayed in, watched the game, and cheered for dolphins because Brandon Marshall was my fantasy receiver and he needed to have a big game for me to win my matchup this week.

The money is more of an added bonus at the end of the season. I don't even think about it that much. It gives the guys around the office something other to talk about other than work stuff. Monday mornings during football season make our office a much more happier place all around. Someone is gloating about their fantasy win through email and there is always a decent game on Monday night to watch. It makes the monday night game even more eventful when a player could decide the outcome of a match which could bolster someone elses position in the league (because we have a playoff in our league which you must qualify for to make the money)

So yes, its about 20% about money 20% about incentive to cheer for a team/player that I wouldnt normally have cheered for and the remaining 60% is the social aspect of it.

5. That Guy

That Guy Rookie

My uncle got me into it when I was 16.

I don't have some great, epic, emotional response to give you.

I just like to test my ability to micro-manage a team and to see if I know as much as I think I do about football.

I've won a few of my leagues, but mostly place in 2nd or 3rd out of 10-12 person leagues.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm in a league with some friends and family. Mostly cousins living down south who I only get to see once a year. So playing fantasy football keeps us more in touch during a busy time of year. It also makes the NFL season more enjoyable for me.

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I love football.

Playing Fantasy just an extra way of enjoying the game for me and keeping contact with long distance buddies..

I've tried to study every roster and prospect one season. Went in blind and picked players on gut instinct another. This season I have less time than ever to devote to it so ran a lot of mock drafts to tweak my picks.

For the most part I've found that there's as much luck as skill involved.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Sausage King of Chicago

I play fantasy because I love football first of all. Second of all, it's a great way to keep in touch with college/high school friends. Third, it's competitive, which is fun. Fourth, it makes almost all of the games interesting.

We do play for money.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I play out of boredom, and it doesn't help much. lol

I honestly can't explain it. I usually win for 8 weeks and then just stop updating my roster. It's basically Magic The Gathering for football fans.

I guess peer pressure. That's all I can explain. My friends do it- invite me, so I play. It's possibly the most pointless and boring 'hobby', but it does occupy some time.
    I also think it makes fans more unlikable too. Hearing someone say "I hope my team wins, but I need Player B to do really good for my fantasy team" makes me sick to my stomach.

10. Smitty46953

Smitty46953 Starter

Posted @ coltfreaks site as well

Hello Bip, long time no see

I have been playing fantasy football for about 10 years... I started as a fill in with a group of local friends who had started a league. It has turned into a keeper league where we keep 5 players from previous year per team. We have four, four team divisions... We now hold our draft yearly at a local pub. We also pay $100.00 per year... Champion recieves $800.00, Runner up gets $400.00 and other two division champs get $200.00 each. We also charge $10.00 per trade and $5.00 per waiver pickup. This is used for a end of year party and pays for the food and booze...

I also now get into numerous on-line leagues such as our Coltfreaks league and that Titan league over on your site... All told I am playing in 5 fantasy leagues this season.

It does help me to keep up on each game and the various players within the NFL... Have always been a football fan but not quite to this degree... However after last weeks games I wonder???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar