Expectations for Britt...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Crash Override, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

I been reading a lot of posts about how Britt will be the best WR in this draft, and he was a great pick and will make an impact. Don't get your hopes up. Rookie WR don't usually come in and have a huge impact. I'm not saying I don't think Britt will be a good WR but that he's not going to have an immediate impact. I hope he doesn't bury himself on the depth chart and to be honest I myself have big expectations simply because we don't have great WR and he should be our number 1 guy, doubt it happens though.

2. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

Rookie WR's can have an impact the first year. 2nd round pick DeSean Jackson had 912 yards and 62 receptions last year. Not a pro bowler but I say that was an impact. I do think Britt will have an impact right away.

3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Yea, obviously Gage and Washington will be the starters until he can either prove himself over one of them or prove his value as a 3rd WR on the field over a 2nd TE.

I think he's going to be productive for us eventually, but he'd really have to be impressive physically and mentally to see the field regularly in the first 4-6 weeks. Being a 1st round pick the Titans might push him out quicker than they did Hawkins last year. But he's not going to have a ton of snaps, and when he does he's not going to be the 1st read until he earns it.

My initial thought is a 400-500 yard season would be the most we should expect. Anything more would be pretty amazing, especially in our offense. Much less and it's a bit of a disappointment for a 1st round pick who is more pro-ready than most rookie WRs.

4. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

he is physically in better WR condition than Gage and Nate.

How he plays mentally is the key. If he is like Hawkins and cannot learn the playbook then we could have problems.

But him being a great route runner already tells me he is smart and thinks fast.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I think he is going to start. They will want his blocking on run downs.

As for what to expect statistically? I think 50 catches for 625 yards would be realistic. Dwayne bowe had 70 catches for almost 1000 yards as a rookie and that is not out of the question.

He replaces jmac who had 30 catches for 400 yards so we assume better, rookie season or not.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I'd say his over/under is 40 catches for about 600 yards and a 15 ypc. If he's not starting by mid-season...I'd go with 30 catches for 450yds and a 15ypc. However, a lot of that depends on Britt playing his way onto the field and the Titans being smart in what they need to teach him before they deem he 'can play.' They took a lot of time trying to develop Dyson (having him learn all 3 WR 'positions') while Minnesota put Moss on the field immediately with 5 routes.

If we know Fisher, Gage will be a starter just for security sake and continuity. Washington has a serious upperhand for the #2 spot just because he's already a solid NFL WR. If Britt can work his way up to rotating at #2 with Wash, the Titans will be in good shape...especially when we go 3 WR's.

The other 'problem' to consider in figuring out catches is that the Titans think Cook can contribute right away. Does he take snaps from Crump/Scaife/Stevens or does he take some snaps from our #2 or #3 wr as well?

Gut

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i also remember a thread back in 2004 saying troupe would be a better tightend than kellen winslow jr. those homer glasses can be thick sometimes.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

He was better for his first 2 years..

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i guess it only took winslow tearing his acl and crashing his motorcycle to make troupe look good....

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Dang it, Gut, you hit my predictions on the head, and you did it faster!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar