Expansion Of NFL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JimmyTitan, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyTitan

JimmyTitan Starter

Some will say, "why not just turn the NFL into the NBA?" Other's will say, "the system is fine the way it is." This is probably one of the most exciting wish list request I've had for Roger Goodell and the NFL for a long, long, time.

With the NFL and it's popularity right now, and the fact that the #1 Seed in either conference most always gets the boot during the second round or Conference Championship, seemingly year after year, this would be the "perfect" compliment for a single TOP TEAM in each conference to have the SOLE #1 spot going into January and how the rest of each conference should be seeded come post-season time.

More importantly, TV Ratings and expansion of NFL Networks nationwide. With seven teams making the post-season and six playing during Wild-Card Weekend for each conference, this makes expanding Monday Night Football a possibility and that much more exciting being that two teams will play a Monday Night Wild Card game. NBC's Sunday Night Football will still benefit and see their "PRIME TIME" Wild Card Game. The #1 Seed will actually mean something and something much more significant than in years past.

WILD-CARD WEEKEND BREAKDOWN:

Saturday AFC WILD CARD GAME:
    12:30 PM / CBS
    #2 SEED VS. #7 SEED

Saturday NFC WILD CARD GAME:
    4:00 PM / FOX
    #2 SEED VS. #7 SEED

Saturday Night AFC WILD CARD GAME:
    8:00 PM / NBC PRIME TIME FOOTBALL
    #4 SEED VS. #5 SEED

Sunday NFC WILD CARD GAME:
    12:30 PM / FOX
    #3 SEED VS. #6 SEED

Sunday AFC WILD CARD GAME:
    4:00 PM / CBS
    #3 SEED VS. #6 SEED

MONDAY NIGHT NFC WILD CARD GAME:
    8:00 PM ESPN / PRIME TIME MNF
    #4 SEED VS. #5 SEED

How could ANY FOOTBALL FAN disagree with this??? Wouldn't we have liked to see the 2011 Titans in the playoffs that could have beaten both the Texans or Bengal's that year (or) Arizona last season at 10-6 that would've competed with most or ALL of the Wild-Card teams in last year's NFC Conference???

Ok....let's have it....

• High Five High Five x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

"ok lets have it" LOL

Jimmy knows

• LOL LOL x 1
  3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

One obvious issue is that the winner playing MNF has less time to prepare for their next playoff game.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

IDK man. I do not like the idea of diluting the pool and diminishing the importance of the regular season. At the same time I am loving the NHL playoffs right now.

The positive obviously is more football and a better chance of your team being in the playoffs. The downside is the regular season will lose a little important and the injury factor. As it is these guys are badly banged up. Lengthening the playoffs will not help.

In the end I think I would go for this. But do not like the MNF aspect.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Oh, hey, another bad idea by Jimmy.

[​IMG]

6. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

Regular season games mean so much when you only have 16 of them. Adding more playoff teams would diminish the value of the season, which is one thing that makes the NFL so special compared to other major sports. Looking at you, MLB, NBA, Hockey

Also the playoff is a reward for the best teams. We didn't deserve to go in 2011, and don't act like we did. Remember the 2012 Jets? They might have made the playoffs if we expanded them. You can't tell me you want to see mediocre teams in there.

Making the playoffs should remain a big effing deal. I like it the way it is, but I'm sure they'll expand them eventually if for nothing else but more money.

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I don't mind adding a team or two each conf. I'll be cool whether it stays the way it is now or slightly expanding.

8. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

The NFL season is long enough.

I like the idea of the #1 seed getting a bye week in the playoffs. If they can't handle business, that's their fault.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

have the best record in the conference and problem solved

not trying to be a smart arse

playoffs already a total crapshoot

the 3 division winners that dont have best conference record play first weekend at home

I want this implemented along with reclassifying the last 2 exhibition games as real games. Let them have their 0 man active roster. I want the games to count. Horrible horrible horrible paying to go to preseason. If there are no tailgates to them I tend to give the tickets away. Last year I had to tack them on the bulletin board at work to unload them

10. smili

smili Starter

If I'm understanding correctly, I think that means we're pretty likely to get 8-8 teams into the playoffs every year. Last year the AFC would've had an 8-8 team in the playoff at spot #7 (Jets, Miami, Pittsburg, or Baltimore). In the NFC it would've allow a 10-6 Arizona in probably (but 8-7-1 Green Bay was already in based on winning division). I don't like giving teams that can't even have winning records in regular season a chance to win the title - and that's the main issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar