ESPN's Tim Hasselbeck: Tennessee Titans 'logical fit' for brother Matt

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Shanvhere, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

Between Orton or Hasselbeck who do you pick?

2. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Hasselbeck. There is more to being a vetern then just starting. Whoever we bring in needs to be able to mentor Locker on the sidelines and I trust Hasselbeck with the clip board a lot more then I trust Orton.

Plus, Orton's kinda a *****.

3. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

If looking for a QB mentor is the top priority you could find a better then Hasselbeck.
    Hasselbeck is a WCO QB and the Palmer comes from the Erhardt-Perkins tree.
    Plus, Hasselbeck will be expensive compared to a pure QB mentor, because Hasselbeck is being pursued as a starting QB by some teams.

Why do you think Hass would be better then Orton in the mentor role?
    I didn't hear anything negative about Orton in that regard.

I think Orton is the better QB, is younger, comes from the same offensive tree as the OC and would (likely) require less compensation.

4. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Wait a minute. You think Kyle Orton is a better QB than Matt Hasslebeck? Younger? If Locker is the future, then why would it matter how young the veteran we bring in is? I mean, I don't want Farve or Jeff George, but Hasslebeck has a year left in him for sure.

5. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I think Orton is better than Hasselbeck too. He didn't play great last year he just had a good playoff game. I don't think he's a bad QB, I just think Orton is going to push your offense further than Hasselbeck.

As far as Locker goes and this whole debate, I still think it makes the most sense to keep the veteran who is proven and who is already familiar with your offensive weapons. It's a short off-season and free agency and there are no better available options. You never know how long it will take a rookie to develop (especially in a short off-season) and if we want to have a shot at playoffs we're going to need to start winning immediately to stay in the playoff hunt. In addition to those positives, your starter and backup would have an almost identical skill set so you could substitute them interchangeably.

If you want a QB who can get you something out of nothing we've got one of the best QB's to do it with still on our roster.

6. memphis_raven

memphis_raven Starter

I still say it will be hard to lure Hasselbeck, Palmer or another QB who has some prime years left, given that the team just drafted it's future franchise QB. Why would they take that job knowing it's a short starting position and then bench warming?

Wouldn't surprise me to see them talk Collins out of retirement (don't throw stones!) or go with someone not as high on the FA QB market. Face it, it's inevitable that your rookie takes the job at some stage.

7. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

They dont know it would be a short starting job, for all we know Locker could suck and Matt could be the starter for a few years. but any QB coming here should know the Titans and the fans want Locker to do great and become the starter.

8. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

Yes, I think Kyle Orton is a better then Hasselbeck.

In the context of Locker being the future you're right it doesn't matter that Orton is younger.

But, in regard to Orton being a better QB then Hasselbeck the fact that Orton is younger and therefore healthier is relevant.

And to be clear, I've always maintained that I don't think we need a QB to come in and start for a year or two.

But, based on the premise in this thread where Hasselbeck is a logical fit why wouldn't Orton the better QB be a better fit.

9. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

I prefer McNabb, but reality tells me it's probably gonna be someone like Carr, Bulger or Boller.......Hasselbeck is a longshot possibilty due to contract demands. Orton already has a job and paycheck, don't see that happening unless VY is part of a trade.

10. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Orton lost some of my respect for him with his whining and bragging last year after the Titans epic failure at home against the Broncos. Don't like the guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar