Enroll at Tennessee

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Alex1939, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

What a mess.

2. jdog

jdog I like beer!

True stupidity has no cure. Embarassing!

3. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

:facepalm3:

I was hoping we were past this with the new regime and poor Kiffin came out Wednesday saying how proud he was that we were clean. Takes stupid to a whole new level at UT.

4. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

What. A. Mess.

5. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Can we be honest here?

NCAA - Only Cares About Money
    BCS - An Instrument created to extract the most money out of NCAA football.
    College Athletic Departments - Winning = More money for the program.

With the NCAA and Athletic Departments of whatever school making all of this money, who doesn't get money? The players.

Sure.. if you excel, you might have a spot in the nfl. Doubtful, but hey, you know, it could happen. Even in the NFL, nothing is guaranteed. They don't call it "Not For Long" for nothing. Infact, at my place of employment, we just hired on a guy who was on the bills (05-06) and bucs (07) practice squad a few years ago.

Sure.. the players are getting an education, but what do most athletes major in? BS Majors and I'm NOT talking about Bachelor of Science. My buddy, who was a collegiate athlete, went to college on a full scholarship and graduated with a degree in outdoor recreation. I mean seriously.. OUTDOOR REC?

I'm not saying give these athletes million dollar contracts to play ncaa football, but come on, pay them minimum wage ($7 an hour I believe) for all the work they do.. (20 hours of football = $140 a week per player) and you won't have this sort of thing happen.

Realistically, whats the most you can get from robbing a convenience store? A few hundred?

What's wrong with paying these guys minimum wage for all the time they put into sports? It's just a little extra spending money and we all know that the universities can afford it.

6. jdog

jdog I like beer!

These football players are well taken care of. There is no legitimate reason they would need to turn to crime.
    I should eat as well as they do.

7. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Sure, they get everything free. Free clothes, free room and board, free food.. I understand. All of that doesn't buy what you want as a teenager.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think we're naive to think these guys don't get a lot of stuff "under the table". For example, I worked out at the Nissan when they were building that plant back in the mid-80's. I was a "gopher" for a construction company. I was in college and the pay was probably three times what minimum wage was at the time.

One day, I see a bunch of MTSU football players on another crew. They were doing more sitting than working and I later found out that they were "hired" by an MTSU alum and paid well for not doing much. This was when MTSU was in the OVC and barely winning more than three games a season.

I've heard of other players getting jobs at car dealerships or other businesses, working very little, and getting a regular check. We've all heard about the "handshakes" with alumni.

So I seriously doubt this was about money. And though I do think it is fair for players to make a wage to supplement their scholarships, many smaller colleges could not afford to do it.

To me, this was about stupidity and I doubt they went to a coach with a need.

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Seriously? We're justifying robbery now by saying that those poor kids don't get paid to play football?

They get a college education out of it, or they have the opportunity to do so if they want to. Also, as TJ mentioned, they get plenty of things taken care of for them, especially the stars. If you're good, you aren't buying a drink in any local bars. Poor poor football players. We should let them rob anyone they want.

Ok, rant over. This may have been a "prank", it may have been real. Either way, it's an incredibly stupid move by all three of them, and justifies getting kicked out. I'd be impressed with Kiffen if he did it, but I don't think that he will. It's a bad situation, because kicking them out isn't the best outcome for those kids, and it's certainly not the best outcome for the team in the short term, but it is a rare occassion when a strong stand can be taken to make a point, especially because of the timing.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar