Drafting Center early is safe bet...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titans2004, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I know we all would love to have Mack, but knowing that his price tag is going to be north of 8mil per yr is pretty tough to swallow. Especially when you look at the history of drafting centers and their hit rate.

In the last 7 drafts here are the 1st centers taken and their draft spot ....Mack(21), Pouncey(18), Pouncey(15), Jones(99), Frederick(31), Richburg(43) and Erving(19)

Pretty solid hit rate their...Woods(28), Wisnewski (48), Hudson (55) were the 2nd centers off the board during this period. Schwenke (107) was the 2nd off the board when we drafted him.

If I were Robinson, I would go after Wisnewski or Jones in FA and if you can't get them for a decent amount then I would roll with Schwenke/Gallick and draft pick.

I really like both Ryan Kelly and Nick Martin who are the top 2 centers coming out this yr. Kelly obviously has gone up against great talent day in and day out at Bama's practices. Martin has been a great anchor for the Notre Dame line for several yrs and has the NFL pedigree with his brother being a 1st rnd pick for the Cowboys.

If we have to spend #33 on a center then history shows that most likely we will get a solid starter.

2. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I would not be one bit disappointed if we went Tunsil #1 and Kelly #33. I would hope that meant we got some help in the secondary through FA though.

3. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Every draft is different though. Different strengths and weaknesses in the class. You can't draft just based on history because those last 7 years maybe completely different than this year's crop of talent.

Getting a center is extremely important for our O line though.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yay, more inexperienced linemen!!! :suspect:

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  5. 615nick

615nick Starter

This, will 100% not happen and would be a disaster for our already to young team.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

Frankly, we need both. We need to sign some good talent in FA, and draft guys. Why? Because depth. We don't even have starters, much less backups if they go down.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Wont argue with you there.

8. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I like both Martin and Kelly but drafting C #33 would be hard pill to swallow when we so desperately need play makers.. I get the argument for it though..

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I would prefer a moderate priced FA center. If we don't get one then I think we certainly need to look for one in the draft. If pick #33 rolls around and both Kelly and Martin are still on the board then you could just pick another position of need and hope one makes it to the 1st pick of the 3rd or trade back from #33 for an extra pick and then grab your center.

10. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Me too, Hoping we chase Ben Jones or Stefan Wisniewski in FA. And you're right, if both C's are available at 33, there's a good chance one of them is available at 64 too.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar