Drafting a QB..

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

In the last 14 drafts this franchise has drafted just 2 QBs, mcnair and young. I find that strange given that it is without a doubt by far the most important position on the field. Not that we were desperate for a QB between that time we had mcnair and a solid backup in neil and later volek but nothing for the future.

Funny that out of all the picks we had, over a hundred of them they didn't see value in taking a chance on some kid late even one time. Why?

There have been opportunities lately. Troy smith could have been had last year for our 5th rd pick. Colt brennan, dennis dixon, josh johnson and matt flynn were all interesting prospects late from rd 5-7.

You might argue that we could just sign an undrafted guy not much difference but i would beg to differ. There are only about 5-6 acceptable undrafted prospects each year and you are lucky to sign one. Go ahead and count them if you doubt me. If you like a kid like santos out of new hampshire or keller the big kid out of nebraska why not use the 7th rd pick to guarantee he will be yours for the next several years? If he does become a solid backup at least you have him dirt cheap.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

We did draft Kevin Daft.

3. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I totally agree. Developing a QB for value if for no other reason seems to make sense. I thought the team might invest a pick in a guy like Dixon and see if after a few years of development they could flip him for some picks as the Falcons did with Schaub.

4. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

I really wanted Dennis Dixon. I thought he could be a Matt Schaub kinda guy, and he is a proven leader and he is a very talented player. Then again, we've had success bringing in FA like Volek (who was undrafted) and Collins. Maybe the really like Martin.

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

We haven't because we have always had a nice 1-2 punch. I actually thought we'd draft a QB this year in the later rounds to mold into the replacement for KC.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Don't mess with success. We've had almost 1/4 of a decade with a great QB. And the backups have all done well except for maybe Tolliver. We done good. Good Young bakups can tease you into being stupid, and the Redskins fall for this every year, rather than developing their starter. Colt will likely get a look this year and throw Campbell backwards for another three. It's not ideal for the Titans in my opinion. I think it would be risky. As long as we have an old Vet back there it is one less distraction. Vince is not going to be a numbers guy, and I hate to see that become a distraction when it doesn't have to be.

7. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I wouldn't have minded a QB, but I think the front office doesn't want to send the wrong message about Young. But still teams draft QB who don't need them all the time. I actually think (not because I'm an OSU fan) that Troy Smith has a chance to be a very good QB. Dixon seems more like an athlete playing QB, maybe like a Kordell Stewart type guy, but he's interesting. Brennan I liked a lot, and I think his accuracy from Hawaii can carry over. Even if he's just a very good career backup, I wouldn't mind him, but I still think he can find a starting job somewhere. Flynn has some upside but I didn't like him in college, far too inconsistent for my liking.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree, but...two and a half years?! I would say longer than that. That's got to be an error. Surely you're not just counting the Vince Young years? :ha::irked:

9. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

We have Young, a potential franchise QB.

10. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

keyword here is POTENTIAL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar