Drafting a DT vs DE

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Architect, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Looks like Titans management finally opened their eyes. Notice Jason Jones listed as a DE http://www.nfl.com/teams/roster?team=TEN*

I think this means we could draft a DT early, and that Ball, Babin, & Ford are done.

Personally I'd rather not use that 8th pick on a DT, simply because we have no QB. This is a QB's league, we don't have one, makes most sense to address that earlier than another DT that won't do much til later in his career. Stephen Paea, Marvin Austin, and Cameron Heyward are three big guys we could get in the 2nd round.

*Maybe not, Tony Brown is listed as a DE too. Typo perhaps? But the post still works IF he eventually does make the switch from DT to DE. Jones is as fast and explosive as Mario Williams. If we could get similar play from Jones at DE as Williams, I'd be thrilled.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I think Jordan is the guy who would make the most impact and I'd play him at DE. You have him and Morgan on each side with JJ and Brown in the middle and you have a great combination of guys who can get to the QB.

Now I agree last year it appeared out DTs were not getting a push and the QBs could step up into the pocket. But by design we played our DEs wide so they seem to always run by the QB. Then uless we rush a LB you have three OL blocking two in the middle with nice passing lanes for the QB. Unless you have Mathis and Freeney the scheme is flawed. It is also detrimental against the run. Playing Jordan and Morgan in more of a 7 technique helps not only take away the lanes but gives us two more guys who can bat the ball down. I also think the path they take will make the area the QB can step up into smaller. Obviously this is better against the run.

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

JJ is listed as DT on titansonline.com still. I doubt any type of position change would be announced this early.

4. JCBRAVE

I doubt it even gets announced, which is why I thought the listing was legit.

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

DT who can collapse is way more important in my opinion. Hell, I'd go JJ Watt in rd 1, then somehow get Paea or Austin in Rd 2, address QB in Rd 3+, because Ponder will still be around.

6. JCBRAVE

Well now that Fisher is gone, we'll begin doing things that make sense, like drafting DT who are stronger than safety's.

No way we can wait til the 3rd round for a QB who may not even be there. And Ponder..... I'm not thrilled with him now that I think about it. We have 2 deep threats, what's to become of Britt & Washington if our QB can't hit them in stride 30-yards down filed? That would take away their best abilities.

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I'm not so much worried about the deep ball, we need more consistent mid-range, then the opportunities for deep stuff happen, but to rely soley on that wouldn't be wise. VY and KFC have cannons, but we need a Brees/Rodgers type not JaMarcus Russell.

8. JCBRAVE

No I know that, deep balls aren't everything. But some of our best stuff was deep. Our new offensive coordinator wants to keep the good stuff from last year, and build around our strengths. And one of those strengths was throwing deep. I'm guessing here, but I don't think Ponder fits into our plans.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I have no problem moving Jones to DE if we can draft a guy like Fairley and it is part of a solid plan for our defense.

We have to remember that Jones was not a big sack guy at Eastern Michigan at DE even against MAC OTs. He had just 13 sacks in 3 seasons. He did average 17 tackles for loss and was very active making tackles all over the field but he will not likely be a big sack guy outside.

I would rather put a high energy guy like Watt at De alongside JJ. With Brown and Morgan on the other side that would be a solid group and then we could draft a DT later in rd 2 or 3 to add to the rotation. We hope of course that Marks shows improvement as well.

Ball and Hayes fit in well as 3rd and 4th options at DE.

Not sure what to do with Haye and Ford. Probably release Haye and find ways to get some production from Ford. Maybe stand him up on occasion in pass rushing situations.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Name the QBs in this draft who resemble the three guys mentioned.

And please don't compare Cam Newton top Russell. The only thing they have in common is size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar