Draft Outliers

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Fry, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Players who are clearly the best NFL draft prospect at their position often don't live up - NFL

I posted something similar in the bust rate thread, asking why OT is seen as the safe pick in the draft when they bust at a monumental rate. This article examines only the first player selected at each position.

Offensive Tackle
    Median Top Draft Position: 4th overall pick
    Highest-Drafted Outliers: Orlando Pace (1997, first overall pick, +3); Jake Long (2008, first overall pick, +3); Eric Fisher (2013, first overall pick, +3)
    We're still waiting for a position in which the outliers all turned out well. This isn't it. Orlando Pace is a newly inducted and deserving Hall of Famer, but that's not the case with the other two tackles. Long had a promising start to his career, making four consecutive Pro Bowls, before myriad injuries reduced him to a shell of his former self. Eric Fisher has been a disappointment for the Chiefs, although he seemed to finally show signs of life as the season went along in 2015. The nicest thing you can say is that the Chiefs at least made the right choice in taking Fisher over Luke Joeckel, who has been even more disappointing for the Jaguars.

Even scarier: The tackles who went off the board with the second overall pick over the past 20 drafts are even worse. There are two failed tackles who only found success after converting to guard (Robert Gallery and Leonard Davis), a failed tackle who converted to a new career (Jason Smith) and a tackle who has committed 24 penalties in two seasons (Greg Robinson). Run away, Laremy Tunsil!

Cornerback
    Median Top Draft Position: 8th overall pick
    Highest-Drafted Outliers: Shawn Springs (1997, third overall pick, +5); Charles Woodson (1998, fourth overall pick, +4); Quentin Jammer (2002, fifth overall pick, +3); Terence Newman (2003, fifth overall pick, +3); Patrick Peterson (2011, fifth overall pick, +3)

There are no total washouts among this five-person group, which makes it the most successful positional outlier we've seen so far. You know how good Charles Woodson and Patrick Peterson have been. Shawn Springs, Quentin Jammer and Terence Newman weren't quite up to that level, but they each started for more than a decade, with Newman still going for the Vikings at age 38. Does this mean Jalen Ramsey will last forever? Probably not, but it at least makes me think that a team in the top five would be taking less of a risk by drafting a cornerback high than it might otherwise seem.

• High Five High Five x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Sounds good to me..

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

I pray to the lord that we trade back or take Ramsey.....Please dear god....I'd take Buckner, Jack, Ramsey, basically anyone over Tunsil....Not because I think he sucks, but because A) we have a left tackle B) Historically early tackles taken suck ballz and C) His injuries worry me.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. JCBRAVE

Jack huh, still looking for a reason to like that guy at No.1

Buckner could be alright tho if Ramsey slips thru our fingers.

5. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

I like Buckner better than Jack, but either would be fine if we trade back. If we stay at one, I would rather go with Ramsey, Buckner personally

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

You know me though Brave, I want our Defense to be nasty....It works...it happens EVERY year.

7. JCBRAVE

Id rather take fat ass Tunsil than Jack TBH

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Oooh man it's tough....I like Tunsil...he is sickening athletic...but 5 games bro.....5....and injuries in 3 seasons...That scares me to death. Not to mention, look at the last 10 years of Tackles taken 1st overall...It's horrifyingly bad.

9. JCBRAVE

Tunsil is a lot more appealing to me than Jack is, talk about raw and inexperienced.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

I get it...I don't hate Tunsil...I will get behind him if he is picked...I just don't see how everything acts as though he is a "Shoe in"....We have a LT.......Like it or not...we do. He also has an injury history, played 5 games with those amazing stats, and an off field snub or 2....Do I think he has crazy potential? I sure do...but that is the BS that has buried us for years if i'm not mistaken. Either way, we are likely taking him, so i'll get behind the things I do like about him and be happy he is a Titan, but I am not completely sold on him being so amazing yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar