Draft Board - Offense

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Gut, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

First off lets hope for a trade-down or something so we can acquire a 2nd round pick and with that 2nd or maybe in the 3rd round pick up Jordan Shipley...Tall, Rangy WR who is fast..reported 4.4s and can return punts and kicks.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Don't get me wrong, I like Shipley a lot. However...

We need help at...
    OC and/or OG
    DE
    DT
    OLB
    CB
    S
    KR/PR

The ONLY WR I'd spend a 3rd rnd pick on is Dexter McCluster...mainly because I could see us using him for 10 touches at RB, WR, PR and KR's. You could easily target him for 20-30 touches per game and he's another explosive player. I think it's nice CJ got 2k yds this season, but no way do I want him getting that many carries next season.

The only other position(s) offensively I see us taking in the first 4 rounds would be an OC or OG.

Right now we need to figure out how to boost our defense by a LOT!!!

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

well...

Interesting that you've loved Bradford since you first saw him and if he came out last year he's probably a top 5 pick (or 6th and playing for the Jets). But you don't think he's ranked too highly on his talent?

QB's will always go higher than their talent just as OG's and OC's go later than their talent. S's go later than CB's and MLB's go later than OLB's. Their is positional importance. BUT - given that - teams try not to grossly overdraft players at need positions if there is a MUCH better player available. I think the Rams will do their best to find a suitor to trade down a few spots and pick up more picks (they have a bunch of holes to fill). If they can drop to #3,4, or 5 they can still probably get the QB they want AND not have to pay him as much ridiculous money AND get more good players ta boot. If they can't trade down, they will take Suh because he's pretty much the consensus best player in the draft and they can probably get either Bradford, Quinn, or McCoy at the top of round 2 (or trade back into round 1 if someone they really want slips).

LeFevour and or Brown could get drafted but if I were the Titans, I'd look for a QB in rnd 7 or undrafted. LeFevour, Brown, Robinson could fit the bill. I would also look for different short term backup QB...like a David Carr or Pennington to backup and TUTOR VY. Someone who'd be there for a couple of years while we continue to see what we have in VY while we groom a LATE round pick or UDFA as a Jim Sorgi-like backup.

Gut

4. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

I don't think OG/C is a need in this draft. Leroy Harris is a very capable back up and will be a starter when the time comes. Troy kropog can also slide inside and play guard if needed. The first round pick this year will def. be spent on someone who can step right in and contribute right away. I feel more than likely it will be spent on a DE or if he is there, Brandon Spikes, Yes I would rather have Rolando McClain but he will be gone. As far as CB goes, Fish didn't draft McCourty and Mouton to ride the bench, they as well as R-Hood will see more playing time.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Mawae IMO is done. With an uncapped year and not many younger OG's who have been starters, Amano will be offered a lot more money than he's worth. Our OL inconsistency exacerbated our defensive ineptitude so putting 2 new starters in their without high pedigree is asking a lot. Iupati is a BEAST and is probably the best OG prospect to come out in a few years and would be WORTH a 1st rnd pick. Mouton got torched last year and McCourty might only be depth. With need at DE, LB and CB on D, not getting better talent at as many of those spots as possible is asking for trouble (like having no quality depth beyond rookies at LB and CB last season).

I wouldn't touch Spikes in rnd 1 for any reason. McClain is vastly better but more importantly, Spikes isn't a difference maker because he doesn't go all out 100% of the time. I wouldn't draft him before the 3rd but I suspect someone will take him late 1 to 2nd rnd.

If the Titans signed Peppers to play one spot and Had Hayes/Ford man the other DE spot and brought back Brown as a RFA, our DL would be solid enough to consider drafting an OG in rnd 1...especially if we re-signed Bulluck and Tulloch.

Gut

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

There was nothing i saw in those 2 guys to make me feel they can start. Our pass defense was terrible when they were playing.

We need a Michael Jenkins type CB in this draft and must use at least a third on that position.

As for the o-line i think we can probably secure a good player in free agency to fill that void. I have far more confidence in leroy harris starting at guard or center than mccourtney or mouton starting at CB.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

2 new starters? That's if we don't sign Amano right.

There are a hand full of free agent guards who started for their team and are under the age of 30. If we feel that any of them would be an upgrade to Amano we should make that move.

A guy like Kynan Forney might be as good as Amano and he was the #3 guard for the Jags but has started in the past. If we are going to keep Amano and have Harris replace Mawae maybe we need to get a solid depth guy in free agency for insurance and Forney is that type of guy.

I understand your point and maybe this is the time to go get that stud guy inside but as you said we have other needs.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Well, wasn't Mouton a 3rd rnd pick? I think the Titans will look at the best players at a few positions but it is very conceivable that Mouton enters the off-season as the penciled in starter opposite Finny. Mouton has talent and with a year of experience and a vastly better pass rush, he COULD be fine.

If you want a Jenkins type CB we need to take one in rnd 1 since there won't be that guy in rnd 3 (unless we get lucky with a 'project' or boom/bust player) and we don't have a 2nd rnd pick. The problem is, there aren't too many premier CB's in tis draft but there are a ton of DT's, DE's, OLB/tweeners. Do you break the bank and sign Dunta Robinson even though he's coming off a poor season and draft DL and LB's or do you break the bank for Peppers on a short term contract, trade down a bit in rnd 1 to get a 2nd and then grab the best CB in rnd 1 and the best DE, DT, or LB in rnds 2-3?

The only player I KNOW is good on the OL who'll be a free agent is Boo Williams...but he's like 33 and will want a pretty large contract even if he doesn't get a lot of years. I like your idea of grabbing a backup player but it depends on if Munchak thinks he can develop him into a starter and how much the guy wants. I'd rather save my pennies for a Peppers and draft talent on the OL even if we need to start one next year...or at least let them fight it out with Kropog and Durand with Harris starting at OC.

Munchak has worked wonders with mediocre talent. I would like to give him a stud to work with and see if we can have an OL that can dominate defenses. But our greatest need is a dominant pass rusher. If the Jets game has taught us anything, you need a dominant pass rusher(s) to put pressure on Peyton AND you need quality CB's/S types. We play the Colts and Texans 4 games of our schedule and it's likely whatever AFC team we play in the playoffs will have a good to elite passing attack. We need to dominate in this area defensively.

Gut

9. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

That's a little unfair. They were put in because we were so injured at the position. They were what a 3rd and 5th round pick? And here in their 5th or so game they have to cover Randy Moss and Wes Welker? Give it some time man. Even if neither become starters I'd at least think ONE of them is capable of being a solid backup if not both.

10. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

You gotta think...Mouton came from Hawaii....he didn't get to see much in college. This year was really a learning experience from him. He has all the physical skills to be a good CB in the league. He probably saw some guys with speed but he never faced true NFL talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar