Draft Board - Defense

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Gut, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I thought we'd start a GoTitans Draft Board. Please list your top 15 players at each position with what round (or range of rounds) you think they SHOULD be drafted. If you have more or less than 15 for any position, put as many or as few down as you like. Please put an asterisk next to every player you've actually watched vs read about on a draft board. List any tweeners at the position you think they will play in the NFL. At the bottom, list your top 10 defensive players in the draft.

DT
    1 Player name, projected round, asterisk if you've seen him play

DE

MLB

OLB

CB

S

Top 10 Defensive players in the draft

Gut

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I think this is too involved Gut. I mean I know I'd be more up for you lists to be 5 deep, not 20. It's just a lot of info to research. Good thread thou, if it had some posts to work from.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Hey...

So put down your top 5!

Gut:)

4. sCarecrow

sCarecrow Guest

DT
    1. Ndamukung Suh, Top2 *
    2. Gerald McCoy, Top5 *
    3. Brian Price, 1st *
    4. Terrence Cody, 1st-2nd *
    5. Dan Williams, 1st-2nd *
    6. Arthus Jones, 1st-2nd
    7. Jared Odrick, 1st-2nd *
    8. Vince Oghobaase, 2nd-4th
    9. DAnthony Smith, 3rd-5th
    10. Geno Atkins, 3rd-5th *

DE
    1. Derrick Morgan, Top20 *
    2. Carlos Dunlap, Top20 *
    3. Jason Pierre Paul, 1st
    4. Brandon Graham, 1st *
    5. Everson Griffen, 1st-2nd*
    6. Herry Hughes, 1st-2nd *
    7. Greg Hard, 1st-2nd *
    8. Corey Wootton, 2nd-3rd
    9. Cam Heywood, 2nd-4th *
    10. Austin Lane, 3rd-5th

MLB
    1. Rolando McClain, Top20 *
    2. Brandon Spikes, 1st *
    3. Daryl Washington, 3rd-4th *
    4. Darryl Sharpton 4th-5th *

OLB
    1. Sergio Kindle, 1st-2nd *
    2. Sean Weatherspoon, 1st-2nd
    3. Navorro Bowman, 1st-2nd *
    4. Eric Norwood, 2nd *
    5. Ricky Sapp, 2nd *
    6. von Miller, 2nd
    7. AJ Edds, 2nd-3rd *
    8. Obrien Schofield 3rd-4th *
    9. Rico McCoy 4th-5th *
    10. Roddrick Muckelroy 4th-5h *

CB
    1. Joe Haden, Top20 *
    2. Kyle Wilson, 1st-2nd *
    3. Donovan Warren, 1st-2nd *
    4. Patrick Robinson, 1st-2nd
    5. Perrish Cox, 2nd-3rd *
    6. Brandon Ghee, 2nd-3rd
    7. Walter McFadden, 3rd *
    8. Javier Arenas, 3rd *
    9. Trevard Lindley, 3rd
    10. Dominique Franks, 3rd *

S
    1. Eric Berry, Top5 *
    2. Earl Thomas, 1st *
    3. Chad Jones, 1st *
    4. Taylor Mays, 1st *
    5. Nate Allen, 2nd
    6. Morgan Burnett, 2nd *
    7. Darrell Stuckey, 2nd-3rd
    8. Kurt Coleman, 3rd-5th *

Top 10 Defensive players in the draft
    1. Ndamokung Suh
    2. Gerald McCoy
    3. Eric Berry
    4. Rolando McClain
    5. Joe Haden
    6. Derrick Morgan
    7. Carlos Dunlap
    8. Brian Price
    9. Brandon Spikes
    10. Earl Thomas

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Interesting list:) And I'm glad you've seen a lot of these guys play. Gives a lot better perpective than just reading a description, right?

How high would you take Mount Cody? He's a real difference maker against the run but also needs to be in a serious rotation system (ala Titans). Would you take a limited player in rnd 1...with the idea that you can get him down into the 340lb range and actually give him some stamina and get more pass rush out of him and more plays or is he worth a mid-late first just based on being a difference maker vs the run game? How do you see Williams in comparison since they both are bigger NT types who are good against the run but not much against the pass?

Unless there are negative issues with a lot of those DT, DE/OLB tweeners, I don't think Spikes will go in rnd 1. Even going by your list, you have 15 players at DT, DE (and adding Kindle) who could go in rnd 1...that's HALF the round. I don't even rate Spikes as a 1st rnd pick. He has potential and at times is very good, but he can also take a bunch of plays off and disappear.

Have you seen Syd'Quan Thompson play CB (Cal). I'd add him to the CB list. CB is gonna be the most interesting position to watch as a lot of the heralded seniors didn't have big seasons and the juniors look a lot like some of those seniors did last year (projected to be first rnd picks this year). I think Ghee could move up draft boards with the combine. With All-Star games and the combine I expect a lot of movement. Here's a question...would you take the best CB at coverage even if he's marginal in run support or take a VERY active guy like Haden who attacks the run game and is a pretty good tackler, attacks the ball in the air and is good at blitzing, but is not as good in coverage as you'd think? Personally, I haven't decided whether Haden gets a 1st or 2nd rnd grade from me. I've watched him a lot but also take into account he's the benefictiary of a great pass rush and surrounded by quality defenders.

What's your take on Taylor Mays? Goes in rnd 1 because he would have last year? Or he falls to round 2 because of a disappointing season and some of his flaws may have been exposed?

Thanks for the list! Good stuff!!!

Gut

6. sCarecrow

sCarecrow Guest

Except the gators, tides and longhorn I saw most of them in just one game.
    Like Suh (bowl game).

Williams was a non factor in the pass rush. To be honest: He didnt catch my eye anyway. I didnt see anything special.
    Cody was really disruptive. He gets a lot of attention. He was doubleteamed sometimes. But he plays only a fews snap (60%???). This is a red flag to me.

I am a big fan of Spikes. In my opinion he is a far better prospect then Laurinaitis was last year.
    His silly action against the running back (twinging the rbs eye after the play) could cost him some value.
    Based on his skills I would say he is a sure 1st rounder.

I saw him in 2 games. He didnt stood out. I mean, I didnt look after him.
    In the first instance I watched Cal because of Best.

Unfortunately I dont see a CB who would be worth a first round pick except Haden.
    I am a big fan of Wilson from Boise State. But he hasnt the bulk you look for.

I would prefer the CB who is better at coverage.

He lacks of instincs and plays way too aggressive at times.
    But besides of that he is a physical freak. I never saw a safety with this kind of speed. Plus the scary bulk. Looked liked a grown man playing football with kids.
    With the right coaching he can develope to a elite Safety.
    OR Outside Linebacker. Some of the german titan fans (yes, I am from germany and thats the reason for my poor english!) are discussing if he could play similar to Keith Bulluck in the NFL, who played Strong Safety among LB at Syracuse.
    An interresting idea if you ask me...

Hehe, youre welcome. Its really fun to me. I love the Draft! :)

7. satkins2252

satkins2252 Starter

I thought about that too ... too bad he will be gone by the time we draft. I also like Weatherspoon @ LB.

8. sCarecrow

sCarecrow Guest

Here is what Scott Wright (draftcountdown) thinks about Sydquan Thompson.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Re: Thompson

LOL...

I always find it amusing when a guy says he has 'great quickness and agility' and 'excellent instincts and awareness' but says he has average athleticism. The only 2 things he can be referring to as marginal are his 40 (which he lists as 4.50) and his vertical. Here's some more double speak...he's 'tough and agressive' and 'Not afraid to hit and tackle' but then he says 'does not play the run well'?

For comparison, he has Robinson listed as his #2 CB. He says Robinson is a 'decent tackler' and an 'average' run defender. Compare Thompson and Robinson's stats...

Thompson
    Totals 52 games played, 257 tackles, 36 pbu, 7 ints, 204yds

Robinson over 4 years...
    Totals 44 games played, 117 tackles, 21 pbu, 7 ints, 87yds

From Wright's comments you'd think Robinson is a better run defender but the stats suggest otherwise. Similarly, you might wonder how Robinson has the same # of INT's but less than 2/3 the # of passes broken up (pbu) if Robinson's the much better player. Robinson also has only 1 INT over the last 2 seasons (he had 6 in '07) while Thompson has 5 (4 in '08).

While we'll have to wait for the combine for their actual triangle numbers, I don't put much stock in people's double speak. Take a look at youtube and check out some reels and decide for yourself. Thompson reminds me a bit of Pacman without the Thug though he had an off-year as a senior. I don't think he has elite quickness but he does have very good instincts and is aggressive.

I like these reels because this isn't a highlight reel, but rather and example of the good, bad and average of the player. I'd rather see the good and bad than just the good...and BTW, Cal plays a ton of zone coverage which is why sometimes you'll see him in bump and run look, off 5-7yds and sometimes off 10. It has to do with their defense than just Thompson starting every play off 10yds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMk77JUWmw0

Gut

10. AH3

AH3 Rookie

I just looked at a video of Perrish Cox, from OK State. The guy seems like a very good player and I'd love for us to get him, but he has some discipline issues. That's not good for us, considering the last CB we drafted high still haunts us. Also, he's projected round 2, which is a bad position for us. A major reach for our 1st pick and won't be there by our 3rd rounder.

Anyway, here's a video of him against Georgia and AJ Green. He can definitely tackle and seems like a good cover CB too. Oh, and he's a good return man. If it weren't for the discipline issues I think he would be a perfect fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDEyXfKr5gA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar