Downing Replacement

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tricky, Jan 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That would be a good question for Vrabel.

I can only speculate that Bowen did/does some things well but Vrabel felt adding an experienced mind might improve his defense.

Schwartz maybe didn’t want all the work involved in being a DC and preferred a limited role.

I doubt Vrabel will ever share his reasoning or Schwart’s responsibilities.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Schwartz is not a second DC. He’s an assistant. His title is “Senior Defensive Assistant”. There are quite a few assistants on the Titans and throughput the NFL.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I wouldn't cry if there's a switch at OC...but I'm almost 100% sure that Vrabs sees it the way I see it and not a lot of good comes out of changing staff every year.

Hopefully, they'll look at the season and make adjustments and Downing gets better at play calling. The players also have to get better at executing what ever is called too though. No matter who the OC is.

4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

It is speculation based on observations of how our scheme changed and the areas that our defense improved in… Schwartz was part of the defensive brain trust and thus he must get some credit for the improvement…..I would be all for bringing in an offensive assistant like Schwartz was brought in for the defense….their is no salary cap on coaches and no rules saying you can only have a certain number of coaches so I’m all for having as many people as possible contributing to making the team better….the more different views and ideas on how to attack another team the better

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  5. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Watching the play design and play calling in todays games and I’ve never been so convinced that DOWING was 99% of the problem. Everywhere today average receivers were being schemed open after we saw absolutely none of that with Downings offense. The dude needs to get fired or steal a copy of the Chiefs playbook and LEARN HOW TO PLAY MODERN FOOTBALL!

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Also funny how we overhauled our defense in the off-season. New pass rushers and new secondary. I’m sure that has nothing to do with it.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

To be fair Tanny had an open TE who had a chance at getting a first down. I wouldn't put 99% of the blame on Downing, but he does deserve a lot of flak. 3 WRs running deep routes when you need 5 yards? Julio not being on the field on crucial downs for some reason? They're both big problems, but Downing could at least get better. Tanny is done.
    upload_2022-1-23_23-52-3.png

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Titans let a lot of clock run before running that play. They were content with OT. They wanted to make sure the Bengals didn’t get the ball back. We know how that worked out.

Downing is not a great play caller but he’s not as bad as some think. But he does have very little feel for the flow of the game.

Side note: almost every NFL fan base hates their OC. I have family in Buffalo and most Bills fans cannot wait for Daboll to get a HC job because they hate him lol. I think too much emphasis is put on play callers. It comes down to execution most of the time. Although that shotgun pass in the red one after the long Foreman run is a perfect example of a bad play call. It does happen and it can impact the game.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

That has zero to do with the formations and pass rush stunts they used. You would definitely use more stunts to generate pressure if you lacked the talent. So they really should have been trying them before Schwartz got here. They did not. Not ever.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

If Bowen needed his hand held, just give the job to Schwartz...if Kelly was your 1st choice over Downing last year, bring him in as OC

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar