Double plays & audibles

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Mike Munchak made a statement yesterday that Jake's first performance last week vs the Redskins was him "taking what the defense gave him", and that he was happy with Jake's game. (After all, he did walk away unscathed, and didn't do anything detrimental to us winning. But is that what you want from your QB? Probably not, but hey, it was a preseason game, and we know what that means.)
    http://www.titansonline.com/media-c...-Offense/d907576a-9784-4da9-9b04-8d0ac80fa1df

Munchak then went on to say "we double call plays a lot", meaning they give Jake Locker the option of which play to use, in other words, audible out of the first play. So as it turns out, Jake didn't merely go 7 of 11 for 58-yards, Jake actually carved the middle of the field up with his football intelligence.

Here you can see where Ive charted Jake's completions from the Redskins game.
    middlefield.jpg

So that leaves us to wonder, why is Jake dinking and dunking so much? The answer? Simple, he was audibling into these plays, because he saw our offensive line could dominate the Redskins defensive line at the line of scrimmage.

Smart move there by Locker. And somebody said Jake Locker doesn't do anything good. Ha! (I showed them)

• High Five High Five x 7
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Locker making good decisions? This all runs contrary to the prevailing opinion on the numerous other Locker threads started in the past week.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

Thats why Im here.

4. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

To start threads? :brow:

5. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I believe in Jake!

6. JCBRAVE

I thought people would like to see the completions charted, because at a quick glance 7 of 11 throws looks alright, but when you break it down it's not.

However when you look at where he's throwing the ball, you see it's not him thats choosing to throw these short nothing passes, it's the defense thats allowing that.

There was very little tight coverage underneath, so thats where he put the ball, underneath, and had his play makers make plays.

People love to knock the guy for playing small ball, but they forget that you'll never go broke taking a profit. Jake marched down field to set up a TD. Im personally pleased to see my QB do that.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Just wait til TE gets on this thread...we all know how much he "loves" Locker.

8. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

I was just busting your balls. TBH I liked what I saw from him. Take what the D is giving you and stay on the field. I have no problems with how he managed the game. I don't expect crazy over the top stuff, it was week 1 of preseason.

9. JCBRAVE

Yea the fact it was just a preseason game takes away anything you thought you saw.

Like the defense looked plane and boring as usual, but then you remember nobody is showing their hand this early, everything is still a big secret. (even though the coaches talked about so many things in the offseason)

10. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Given almost a week now I've had more time to digest Locker's performance. He didn't look great however he did just as JC said. We don't need him to be a Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers...we need Jake to be Jake. Throw the ball to playmakers, let the RB's do some work along with ST and a good defense. If the play breaks down we all know Jake is dangerous running the ball. Let's face it, Jake will most likely never hit more than 3,500 yds a season. We have to just go with what we got a good QB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar