Does Jurrell Casey fit the 3-4?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dtm586, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Yeah, they signed him to a one-year deal as insurance when Daryl Washington was suspended. Then he had his best season as a pro.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

This whole NT argument is stupid. The 49ers took a blown up Glen Dorsey and made him a NT after being a bust for the Chiefs and he did fine and they had the 2nd best defense in the league.

Casey is better suited to NT than the 3-4 end because of his build and his quickness will be a real asset inside. The center can't block him alone so the desired effect is there. Teams will have to block him with 2 guys.

I have seen almost no evidence of any good players not able to make the switch in defensive scheme either way. JJ Watt was a wide 9 left DE at wisconsin and blew up the nfl playing inside with 2 gap responsibility as a 3-4 end.

It's a non issue!

Also i think morgan will be fine as a stand up strong side linebacker in a 4-3. Coverage will not be a strong suit for him but he will be a load for fullbacks and TEs to block on running plays.

50% or more of the plays we will be in a 4 man front in nickel and dime situations in which Casey and Morgan will be playing the same position they did in the 4-3. It makes no difference!

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Remember when some people thought Wade Phillips was out of his mind taking a 6'7 295 lb Mario Williams and playing him as a 3-4 OLB? The guy was blowing up the league until he hurt his knee.

How has the colts change from the 4-3 to the 3-4 hurt Robert Mathis' career?

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

It sure is swell we have every single one of those players you mentioned and certainly not our own!

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. EnglandTitan66

EnglandTitan66 "The Plump Prince"

I'm with Rolltide on this one but we are five pages in on this thread and nobody has mentioned the return of LenDale White as an option ; disappointing .

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think Casey will be just fine playing either DE or NT in the 3-4.
    I think Morgan is athletic enough to play OLber.

One thing to consider is that both of these guys are young and currently are cheap, but they are both about to enter FA. So do you entertain trade offers for either of them. If you think they aren't ideal for your system then I think you have to consider it.

8. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I'm not concerned that Casey will be a bad 3-4 NT. I think he is good enough to excel in whatever role we give him. My concern is that he won't have the same pass rushing impact he did as a 4-3 DT and he was by far our best pass rusher.The one gap NT concept might solve this but if they decide to use him a just a space eater they'd be wasting his talents.

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Freeney was ending his run, but still.. he was much less effective in the 3-4 before he got hurt, and essentially ended his career. Quite a few people find it hard to make the transition... Great players will be great wherever, but some average to good players will find it a struggle to fit in a different system.

Wimbley was an above average 3-4 OLB, and sucks hard as a 4-3 DE.

Babin sucked hard at 3-4 OLB, and excelled much more at 4-3 DE.

As Hammer said, Sapp lost effectiveness when switching to the 3-4.

Haynesworth was never as ineffective as he was once he got that contract, and was played in the 3-4 (blame can be placed on a few things.. position switch is one)

We have never dealt with it here, because we've never made a huge switch.. but rest assured that a few players will suffer because of it.. and some will thrive.

Keith Bulluck would have been absolutely horrible as a 3-4 OLB. He was a 4-3 player.. plain and simple.

10. 615nick

615nick Starter

Casey is strong and fast enough to play at any place on the line in a 3-4 scheme, he may not have the same kind of numbers playing in the 3-4 but will be just as effective, from his push and drawing double teams which will free up other guys.

Nick smith, are you serious Keith Bulluck was a great linebacker, extremely athletic and a very smart player. He could have made the switch no doubt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar