Does it matter who the DC is under Fisher?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tuk88, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Camp Fodder

Here are some quotes that make me think it doesn't matter who the DC is, but that they're just the scapegoat for the real problem, which is Fisher. I honestly think the NFL game has changed drastically in the last few years and Fisher hasn't caught up with it, which is why you're seeing so many successful young coaches.

"One reporter said that Fisher is calling the plays on defense because he always does it for first year coordinators." 9/28/09

"Overall, it's the same defense. It's just as rugged. It's just as tough. (DT Albert Haynesworth is) the only guy missing. He's the only one not back out of that group. Certainly, he is a force in and of himself, and a very rare individual in terms size and speed and ability and those kinds of things." Colts head coach Jim Caldwell, 10/09

"We've carried on with this defensive scheme. Week-to-week there's some minor modifications." Jeff Fisher, 10/5/09

I'm not concerned about it because basically we've got the same people doing what we were doing last year, and we were effective. With some tweaks and some of the schematic things I think things will improve." Jeff Fisher, 8/23/09

"It is the same defense, the same things we did last year." Kyle Vanden Bosch, 9/24/09

"Coach Jeff Fisher pointed out it’s the same defense the Titans played in 2008 even though he has a new coordinator in Chuck Cecil with Jim Schwartz now the head coach in Detroit." 9/23/09

2. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Can we get some game evidence of this year compared to last year? I'm pretty sure the corners didn't play 5-10 yards off of their man every game last year.

It's like KB said... "I looked over and I saw no one was covering welker"

3. TitansWillWin1

TitansWillWin1 Camp Fodder

Im pretty sure the nfl didnt pass him by the last two years with how good our d was! its amazing how ppl go crazy on him! i mean wat do you expect with five turnovers and three starters out on d, not to mention an all pro starter, and two 6th round rookie replacements against tom brady randy moss and wes welker!!! i mean hell you know that bill was gonna exploit that!

4. Tuk88

Tuk88 Camp Fodder

We weren't missing our starting CBs and nickelback either, with two rookies and a castaway replacing them.

I certainly questioned the promotion of Cecil, but I would suspect Fisher chose him over McGinnis because McGinnis would do his own thing, as opposed to Cecil running whatever Fisher wanted.

You guys know as well as anyone, that most large corporations hire based on the good ol' boys network rather than meritocracy, especially in sports.

5. TitansWillWin1

ok then how did the NFL pass him by then?? you just stated that most of the fault is to be blamed by injuries!

6. World Peace

I'm no NFL defensive coordinator... but if Randy Moss and Wes Welker are running around, it's probably a good idea to put a body on them. DON'T JUST STAND THERE.

That's a cop out that I'm sick of hearing this team use. Other teams start rookies... and they don't get blown out 59-0.

Just letting them run by you is unacceptable, regardless if you think its a run, pass, screen, doesnt matter... This team didn't come to win. This team didn't even wanna roll out of bed. That's all on the coach staff. I've defended fisher for many years, but letting it get to this point is inexcusable.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. TitansWillWin1

other teams dont have to start TWO 6th round rookie corners either against the best passing attack in the NFL!!!

8. Tuk88

Tuk88 Camp Fodder

The problem IMO is mainly with Fisher. He hires the DC, and it's obvious based on the quotes that he decides what scheme to run.

I'm using the injuries and the loss of Haynesworth as evidence that the problem is with the scheme, not the players. Cecil is just a yes man for Fisher's game.

Look at it this way, 3 out of the 4 starters under Cecil's watch as secondary coach went to the Pro Bowl, and Vincent Fuller was one of the top NBs in the league. I'm not saying Cecil should be the DC, I never did and still don't, but to blame him is pointing the finger at the wrong person.

The Titans simply don't have a pass rush anymore, and the scheme doesn't compensate for that without a Haynesworth - no secondary in the world can defend in this scenario, especially one without its three tob CBs.

9. World Peace

To your credit, Mouton was a 3rd rounder.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

So you are suggesting that the scheme that made this D the 2nd best last year is now obsolete?

A little perspective. Many teams run a cover 2/tampa 2 based scheme and are still doing just fine. The DIFFERENCE is no Haynesworth and KVB can't pass rush anymore (not only can't he beat a rookie LT, but he was manhandled by a TE yesterday). We didn't have much pass rush with Kearse last year (1 sack I think) so most of our pressure was Haynesworth, Brown and KVB. Brown has done a good job but is now the DT double teamed and JJ has been solid, but we've gotten almost zero pressure from our DE's. The scheme is BUILT and designed around getting pressure with the front four. If that doesn't happen and you have 6 secons to attack the deep zones, you can always find guys free in the secondary no matter how good they are.

As for dropping our CB's back? This is in response to the realization that we are not getting pressure so now our outside short zones are now more medium zones and we're willing to give up short stuff to try and stop the big play down the field. The problem is, when we blitz, our execution is terrible and we're giving up big plays when the D should be the ones MAKING the big play. In addition, teams can dictate which WR is covered by which db because our CB's don't switch sides and we don't put Finnegan on their best WR like the Jets do with Revis.

The problem starts with KVB starting. But because he's a captain and Fisher is a loyal guy, he starts him. The D will continue to have massive problems if KVB starts AND plays like he is and our Offense doesn't start clicking on all cylinders.

And BTW, Tampa ran the same D and was a top ranked D for most of Dungy's tenure - mainly because they could rush the passer. The Colts D is very effective when they get leads because of their fierce pass rush. We actually play the run better than they do, but that's another issue.

And BTW, the Steelers have been running the same D since Lebeau's been coaching. Did the NFL pass them by? No. They know what players make tht D work and they make SURE they have their foundation covered.

Our foundation isn't covered. The good news is, the coaching staff was starting to be more creative against the Colts and for the first half, it worked. We got plenty of pressure on Manning. But yesterday we went back to our usual four man rush - perhaps because they thought KVB would kill their rookie LT. Didn't happen.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar