Do the Titans Really need a DL or a QB

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by maximus, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximus

maximus Starter

Virtually every draft "expert" has the Titans drafting a DT or QB. With good reason, the Titans defensive line was not up to bar last year. At quarterback, the Titans have Kerry Collins and Rusty Smith. Yeah, not many defensive coordinators are staying up late a night worrying about that. And we all know that Vince Young is heading somewhere else.

But let's take a look at the DL. The Titans have Tony Brown, Jason Jones, Derrick Morgan, and Jason Babin but the starting DL is not too bad (albeit some of these guys may have to be resigned). Coming off the bench is Jacob Ford, William Hayes, Jovan Haye, and Sen Derick Marks. Could the Titans use depth? Yes!. Do they have to draft Fairley or Dareus to do it? No!

Ok, back to quarterbacks. Kerry Collins is older than Moses and Rusty Smith showed little in his limited playing time last year. This instantly looks like a hole that must be fixed now but in reality, it doesn't have to be fixed through the draft.

With the possibility of Matt Hassleback, Kevin Kolb, or Donavan McNabb, the Titans could have their choice of solid, experienced quarterbacks to hold over for a year or two while the Titans groom a Andy Dalton or Christian Ponder (2nd round) or wait till next year and hope that the Luck out with Luck. The top 3-4 QB (Gabbert, Newton, Mallett, Locket) have questions regarding their ability to be effective NFL QB. Does a new HC really want to put his future on the line with a QB with question marks?

If he's there at 8, the Titans should draft Patrick Peterson. Yes, Mouton looked promising and Finnegan is a pro bowl caliber DB. Griffin is pro bowler at S but Chris Hope has lost a step. Peterson shows all the signs of being the next Rod Woodson. He could replace Hope in the secondary or Mouton at CB (moving Mouton to nickel) and return kicks (no more kicking away from Mariani)

You can land a solid QB later and address the DT in the 3rd round.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree totally. Take the BPA.

I think Peterson will be gone by #8 but I'd take AJ Green or Julio Jones if they are there. I think they are both better than Akamura.

Personally, I think Julio Jones is going to be an Andre Johnson type player. Non prima-donna, work his azz off type dominant WR. This guy would be a shot in the arm to the locker room , not to mention he AUTOMATICALLY makes the offense more potent regardless of who our QB is. Adding Julio Jones makes Donavan McNabb an INSTANT workable choice and provides a base for the future. And we need to score points (as well as play defense) to win our division with Indy and Houston.

slight buzz already. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nesee-titans-take-julio-jones-at-no-8-overall

3. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

I'm of the QB or LB school of thought as needs......Plenty of good DL's later.

QB is number one need in my mind, then get the LB.

4. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain expects the Texans to try to trade up for Von Miller or Patrick Peterson.

5. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I too am of the belief that you take the BPA and if Peterson is there you'd have to think about it hard. But I think CB is one of the positions we're deepest at. You forgot to mention McCourtey and Verner. Those two, along with Finnegan give us 3 competant CBs, where as on the D-line we have no DT that collapses the pocket and gets consistant pressure on the QB. If Fairley or Dareus is there, they're the better pick because they fill a need.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

DT: Tony Brown and Jason Jones are decent, both were bothered by the injury bug last year. Brown is also getting older, but has some years left in him. Jovan Haye and Sen'Derrick Marks have shown nothing for me to be impressed.

DE: Babin is a FA, and will probably be leaving. Babin is also very overrated because of his sack total, the dude lines up 5 yards off the tackle and doesn't help on the rush... ever. Besides last year where he was allowed to line up that far outside he's been a bust. Derrick Morgan has potential, but is coming off a serious injury. Ford and Hayes have been let downs, I had a lot of hope in them... they're both average at best.

Do we need a DL bad? No.. but it's probably our #2 biggest need. There is a TON of DL talent that will be available Rd2, so we could wait.

I agree that Rusty and KC are not the answer.

Hasselbeck has been horrible for 3 years now, 34 TDs to 44 INTs. Besides his solid playoff performance this year, he's been nothing. He's 35 also.

McNabb struggled last year, but I still think he could be solid.

But you can't just not address your biggest need and hope you'll land someone in free agency. What if we miss out on all the QBs, and our starting QB is KC or Rusty next year? That'd be horrible.
    [/QUOTE]

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

You can't possibly mean Ryan Mouton. Do you perhaps mean Alterraun Verner?

The Titans really don't need a CB. Finnegan and Verner can start. McCourty can play nickel. That group is much better than people around here give them credit for.

DL and QB are absolutely the biggest needs.

8. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I hope by Mouton you mean Verner cause Mouton is awful.

History shows you will have a hard time finding a QB late in the draft.

While this D-Line class is very good it is a bit top heavy so the majority of prospects that should have an immediate impact will likely be gone by the second round.

I agree with Peterson if he is there I would love to get him.

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Your assuming we'll get a decent QB in free agency of course we need a QB and a DT/DE. We have no depth!!!

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Instead we should break the bank for Nnamdi Asomugha. Then we can still draft one of the best D-lineman on the board at #8.

And we can STILL sign a Hasselcrack or McNabb and not draft a QB this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar