Do teams really draft what the know they need?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by jessestylex, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

D.J. Moore. I called it.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I think the key is to always look ahead 2-3 years and look at all the possible scenarios regarding contracts and injuries. If you honestly think a guy is going to be a pro bowl player at his position then you take him. Can never have too many good players.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I think johnson or moore whomever is available is better value than the WRs most likely available at 30.

If the value is there i would have no problem using 3 of our first 5 picks on defense.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Every team has a draft board and don't slot players based solely on how good they are...but how good they are in THEIR system. This is why (besides scouting) players are rated sometimes very differently on different boards and some players are 'reaches' because that team thinks that player is worth it for their system.

The whole idea of best player avilable is a farce in a vaccuum. How did Detroit do drafting 4 WR's in the top 5 seemingly every year? How good would your team be if the best player available was always a QB for 4 years while you had glaring holes at CB, WR and DE?

Teams combine (or should) combine BPA with need. You see what are your most glaring needs short term and your longer term needs...those positions are your need positions. For example, the Titans don't have any major needs for next season except perhaps a run plugging DT and depth. Longer term they could have a need at starting CB, DT, DE, slot or starting WR, TE. Of this list, the Titans should already know who they are going to keep so they can make that list very narrow...let's say they know they will re-sign Bulluck, let Mawae walk, let Harper walk, ect. You know which positions now have a greater priority.

Lastly, you take a look at players and positions who would UPGRADE your current starters.

Combine all that, and you have an idea of what you should be looking at in the draft.

Keep in mind, the Titans have supposedly been trying to add playmakers to the offense since MR has been here with rumors of trying to aquire WR Roy Williams and TE Tony Gonzalez and us drafting Chris Johnson last year.

So they could look to upgrade a position (DE, DT, CB, WR, #2 RB, OC, KR/PR) or draft near term starters (QB, WR, TE, OC/OG, DE, DT, OLB, CB, P) or depth (CB, LB, DT, OL, QB, RB, TE).

If you look at the players guaranteed to be taken before we pick and then look at what's left that's rated between rnds 1 and 2, you have a pool of players we'd consider. Narrow that down by our positions of need or upgradeable players...now you have a smallish list of players. Of those remaining players, the Titans will take the BPA of them.

Of course, this doesn't take into account trades...but you get the idea!

Gut

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I'm starting to change my mind on dj moore in rd 1. His pro day 40 time was just 4.57. 4.56 at the combine. Given he is only 5'10 192 we can't justify drafting him with the 30th pick and i highly doubt fisher will want him that high given the premium they place on speed.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I already knocked him down to 2/3 rnd. Not only his is 40 MUCH slower than expected, but he's not even CLOSE to being 5'10. He's actually a shade UNDER 5'9!

Small and Slow means nickel in general. Even Pacman was almost 5'9 1/2" and ran low 4.40 and played to that. The only thing keeping Moore near the first rnd is his film. He has covered a lot of very good and very fast WR's so I expect someone will take him in rnd 2. I would not be surprised if he fell into rnd 3. It's not likely, but he could realistically fall to our 2nd rnd pick. I expect him to go mid-2 now. If not for his film and level of competition, he'd be in rnd 3 or 4 right now.

Considering he's a tad taller than 5'8 1/2" and runs in the low-mid 4.5's...where would you take him? Keep in mind, we play predominantly zone so his lack of speed is not AS BAD for a man to man team. He still is an excellent athlete and does have almost a 40" vertical to challenge taller WR's for the ball...

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar