Do NFL teams purposely TANK for higher picks?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CRUDS, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I'm talking about modern NFL football. Do you believe NFL teams actually incorporate a strategy to lose so they can draft higher the following spring?

2. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

i'd say every sport has it happen

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

You have to define tanking. Are we talking about trading every asset the team has in order to be just painfully awful for three years(76ers)? Or are we talking about teams just being worse than they really thought they would be and rolling with it in order to improve?

I haven't seen a team do anything like teams in the NBA do.

I think some NFL teams know they're going to be bad, sometimes really bad, and high draft picks will be the result of it. The Jaguars knew they were going to be awful last year and would get a high pick. I think the Titans knew they were going to be bad this season and had a plan if that happened(bench Locker and go with Mett).

The NFL is just so much bigger than one player though, especially if the QBs at the top of the draft aren't very good that year.

In basketball one draft pick is 20% of your starting lineup, not 4%.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I'm talking purposefully losing games.
    This will require at the very least collusion between team management and coaching.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Its hard to prove it, but I definitely think Indy tanked for their 1st pick in 2012. And heres why.

They go winless all year til they see the Titans late in the year, they beat us, beat Houston, and look like they've figured it out, then all of a sudden when they look over and see St. Louis losing out, they quickly decide; hey we better stop winning or else. Then in the final moments of the 2011 season they give up to the Jags by not trying an onside kick with a few mins to go? Seems fishy to me.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
    • High Five High Five x 1
  6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Does not include the scenario where a team may draft for the future rather than winning right away.
    Does the team (coaching/ownership) physically plan to lose a specific game

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I don't buy it. What player tanks so they can potentially draft his own replacement?
    What coach willingly takes this chance / wants this on their resume?

8. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I don't think players tank. They might check out by the end of the year and stop caring, but they don't tank.

I think coaching and management tanks though. They will play their less talented players in order to 'evaluate' them (which I am sure is part of it), but you know that they want to lose some games for a higher draft pick too.

I don't think the coaches and/or players go out and deliberately fumble the ball or take knees or whatever. Its more of just having a 'giving up' mentality than anything.

I do believe that the Colts tanked for Luck. And I think Caldwell did it willingly. I don't think he ever thought he would be fired for that.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Where is the rationale in that??
    The fact he was fired negates any legitimate argument for tanking.
    "Testing" second string players is not the same at tanking. Not even close..

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

And Jim Caldwell got rewarded for towing the company line by getting fired.

Don't believe it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar