Do I sense a little unrest?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If LT comes back to this team he's signing up to be the official towel boy.

2. Bababooey

Bababooey Guest

:yes:

3. Valis

Valis Guest

That's funny, because from the outside looking in, I always assumed it was the exact opposite.

I sit about 4 rows back from the players bench, and I always noticed how Lamont & Schwartz would always smiling during interactions, and initiate in pretty significant hugs & what not after big plays. The body language and facial expressions really pointed towards a good relationship....but I guess there were some other emotions brewing.

It made sense in my mind that they would be friends, because I have always disliked both Thompson & Schwartz.

Schwartz and Bullock on the other hand....you can tell there is some friction there. Everything I see Schwartz talking to Bullock, he is looking in the other direction with a very disinterested look on his face. I always imagine him thinking the same thing I'm thinking,"TAKE US OUT OF SOFT ZONE YOU IDIOT!"

:grrhee:

4. Titanics

Titanics Guest

I don't think it's fair to pin Thompson's departure on any single thing. It was a combination of things: his inconsistent play, higher salary, our looking towards the future (he was not our longterm answer at FS). I'm not 100% sold that Lowry is the answer there either, but he played well in college and last season for us on special teams so why not give the guy a shot.

5. BronzeHammer

BronzeHammer Guest

So for my first post, I'd like to say how wrong you are. It's already been mentioned, but this is complete lunacy. This isn't an ad hominem, but it's disturbing to me how many 'regular folk' pick up on this attitude in regards to people that command more money than they do. Let's pretend you make that median income you're bandying about, $30,000 a year. Not a boatload by any means, but probably enough for most people. One day your boss comes in and say, "Hey, you've done pretty well for us, but our payroll is a little high. How about doing us a favor and taking a 20% pay cut?" Okay, that's not exactly what happened with McNair, and I think that most people here would agree that his leaving was the right move. But the issue I have is with people thinking football players shouldn't command higher salaries than they do, for playing this game (which, by the way, you seem to like an awful lot) instead of doing a regular 9-5 shift like a regular joe; you know, an honest living.

Anyway, so now you're making $24,000. $6k less than you were making. Hey, what's the big deal, it's 80% of what you were making.

What about people that make less than the median income? Let's say someone's working hourly wage and pulling in about $10,000 after taxes. It's unfortunate, but it happens. Don't you think they might say, in regard to your situation, "Well, he's making 80% of what he was making, and it'd take me more than two years to make his 'decreased pay'...why doesn't he just grow up?"

Well, you don't have to. You have a marketable skill, and your skill is worth in the neighborhood of $30,000 a year to many companies. It's partially a fraction of what sort of expense/revenue ratio you bring to the company itself, and partially what it would cost to replace you (as can be seen in the LT/Lowry issue). You're worth $30,000, so you should make it. Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but you pay your TV bill (maybe including NFLN to catch the extra games) and maybe even buy a little merchandise to support the NFL. It's probably for a particular team, like maybe the Titans, and that income is largely a result of your location and the players on your favorite team. If the team and the players on it weren't here for you to spend money on, then the NFL loses that revenue. Do you see why the players should be compensated fairly for their roles?

Finally, maybe you're advocating that the players be paid a living wage, like the median income in individual states. The result is the payroll being, what, 1.59 million for the whole team? Then the owner pockets the rest of the cash. And yes, the owners have to have money to support the franchise. As a previous poster pointed out, your problem is with capitalism. Don't like that you don't make 2 million a year for doing what you love? Yeah, I don't like it either. Get over it.

6. If all else fails Griffin can play it. =]

7. The only thing wrong with your comparison is that football players in general get payed way too much for what they do. They are playing a game, and the least that a pro makes is what 250,000? Thats more than most households make with both parents working. Then there are some like Vince who are making around 10 million a year (60 million contract for 5 years optional 6th). That is absolutely absurd, so for a player to be getting paid 2 or 3 million like McNair was and to think that a paycut is out of the question is just ridiculous. People in the NFL get way overpayed so taking a paycut shouldn't be a big deal, but now since they are getting payed so much they all have their head up their butts and think that 1 million is not enough to play for a year. Whatever happened to playing for the love of the game?

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yeah, but playing pro football for any extended amount of time takes about 15-20 years off of your life.

9. They know that going into the game. The army is even worse, they have the chance of dieing in the game a heck of a lot more than any football player. And look how much they get paid and they are the ones that fight for our freedom.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

which is why i never blame anyone for getting the money while they can.
    "they know that getting into the game"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar