Disappointed...but hopeful

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by DeutschTitan, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

DISCLAIMER: LONG POST - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK. MAY STRAIN THE EYES. :ha:

First and foremost...congratulations to a team who has overachieved beyond their talent level. I was very pleased to have the privilege of saying my team was in the play-offs this year, after a three year drought, even if for one week. While, I feel it should've been a lot closer than it was and that a few if not several calls (the word forward progress comes to mind) should or could've gone the other way, the team did...well...just OK. However, playing "OK" doesn't cut it sometimes during an NFL season and most certainly not in the play-offs. So, how does this team go from playing just "OK" to playing for the AFC south division title and the franchises 2nd Super Bowl berth? The following are my opinion on how to achieve such a feat:

- Fisher, are you a mediocre coach, who will just be .500 through your career with a .500 or less playoff record, or will you say and do the things that will separate you from that distinction; things that could put you above such distinctions? For starters, how about making adjustments throughout the game? You shut down LT, but you focus so hard on it you let your secondary make Philip Rivers look like the second coming of Dan Fouts. Second, perhaps playing conservative will get you a lead for 2 or 3 quarters of play, but almost certainly (as we've all witnessed this year) it can lose you the ball game. You need to open up.

- Mike Reinfeldt...first year as GM is successful, for the most part. Your goal for getting this franchise back into the play-offs was a success. Kudos. The signing of Nick Harper was solid, Justin Gage was a steal and the Michael Griffin pick was solid as well. However, while Harper and Gage are solid, they aren't franchise players. Can you do what is needed, by sprinkling in veteran FA's and filling in the rest with the draft? The jury is still out. This year's off season as well as the next will determine your's and this franchises future.

- The defense needs a few key pieces. Keith Bulluck is no longer the player he used to be and appears to be more and more as if he is becoming a liability. LB depth needs to be addressed. The secondary could also be an issue. With Pacman's future uncertain and Hope's career possibly on the line, there could be a need in the secondary. Cortland Finnegan and Nick Harper are solid players, but they are not shut down corners and it showed today. They as well as the rest of the secondary could not hold up on their own when the front seven were committed to stopping the run/rushing the passer. If Pacman is not to return, a shut down corner is needed. It payed dividends having Pacman back there, knowing you could put him on an island and he would be fine.

The Defensive line has a few questions that need to be answered as well. Odom and LaBoy are both FA's. Both have combined for solid to great production opposite KVB this year, contributing a good amount to the defense this year. However, who do you show the money to and who do you let walk? Speaking of D-line, what is Big Al worth? Is the production legit or was it the product of seeing paydirt on the other side of the opposing line? Do you franchise tag or give him the money?

- Vince Young...I don't know what to say. Much like any average second year quarterback, I was up and down on him, just like his play. I really believed he could make the next step after the bye this year, but he never did. While he has shown some slight improvements in his passing game, his running game was a non-factor. However, was this due to the quad strain, perhaps an undisclosed injury or was it personal vendetta to show he can be a prototypical pocket QB to the world? Could be a little of both.

One thing is for sure, I'm off the band wagon for now and in the middle. I want him to prove to me that he is going the make that jump next season. Can he take what he's learned the past two seasons and put it together? Can he be himself and play like he knows how to play (i.e. using his athleticism to keep plays alive that we saw so much of in year 1)? Before I jump back on the wagon, I need to see him tacking those steps, necessary to making the jump. Make me a believer again, Vince. One thing that is interesting, is the fact that Vince will have his favorite targets of this year back next year, unlike last year. (Roydell, Gage, Scaife)

- Offense. Heavily discussed and criticized. Seems to have regressed, but only by a few rankings from last year. What happend? Well erratic QB play, as well as the WR and TE position. The O-line were also very suspect throughout the season, starting with a great effort and looking to be the strength of our team in the first three weeks to looking more like the weakest part for the rest of the season. With that said, it needs to be addressed. Can Mawae and Olson continue? Who will replace them and do we have these said people already on the roster?

Skill positions need a look at. A #1 receiver is sorely needed. Will this player emerge from the pack or is he out there? Running back is an enigma, too. While you may think I'm crazy, hear me out. White has been solid pounding the football, but that's just it...the keyword being pounding. Rarely did white make someone miss or take it the distance this year. While it's not fair to ask that of White, seeing as he's not that type of back, we need someone who can come in along side him who can do those things. Travis Henry wasn't particularly fast, but he could at least take it the distance if he got into the second level. One particular FA I like that would compliment White well would be Mewelde Moore. He's quick, shifty and is a solid receiver out of the backfield. He fits the role perfectly. Thus, Chris Brown, in the words of Trump, "your fired." Chris Henry isn't too popular right now, especially with me. However, he is a rookie and deserves a chance. We shall see what he brings next year.

Thoughts?

2. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

Solid points all around. I really hope they bring Pac back, his presence in the return game and on the defensive side of the ball made him one of the few playmakers we desperately needed this season. Chris Henry didn't look like he was worth using a 2nd round pick on, but it was just his first season so idk. I like LenDale as a hard, grind it out kind of runner, but I'd really like to see us get a playmaking RB. Heck, I'd settle for a Michael Turner/LenDale combo. I have a hard time believing Al would be worth the money he'd want; one great half of a season doesn't make him the "best DT in the NFL" like some analysts say.

We have the money to get some weapons for VY, but with Jeff Fisher's style of offense, I have a hard time believing they'd be used effectively.

3. jmac1383

jmac1383 Guest

Yes, I agree with 98% of what you said. I'm sure Vince will pull his head out of his A**. But we need to fill holes around that Offense. I really hope both Givens and Pacman is back. Like Pac. or hate him, he's a great football player. And what about the D' line. Even if we resign everybody on it, we need lots of depth. And another RB for sure. White just should be in on most of the plays.

4. terrykalaka

terrykalaka Camp Fodder

I'd agree with you on most points. You can't really bag fisher for the way we play, he's trying to make the most of the tools that we have available. While right now it is still too early to bog vince out for not being the worlds greatest quaterback and playmaker that people think he should be, but his time is about to run out for the "give him a chance" defense. He will need to produce next year as a passer and let his running compliment that. He isn't going to be able to run forever, so you better learn to pass, son. You would hate to say that we should have pac back, but it was quite evident we need some help in the secondary. Finnegan has really come to show himself as a solid corner, but we need a pac type player opposite him. I would call for Jim Schwartz's firing. He stinks. Get someone else in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar