Dinger's Breakdown of the WR Core

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Architect, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Because it happens every year.

2. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

fixed for ya :)

Heimerdinger > Chow.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

However,

Jeff Fisher/Heimerdinger = Jeff Fisher/Chow

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'll throw this out there for consideration, though I've lately been of the "Brandon Jones will be cut" camp: in 2005, Oklahoma's coach said that Brandon Jones was the best raw or pure receiver he had ever coached. Three WRs from that team were drafted -- Mark Clayton, Brandon Jones and Mark Bradley. I was very encouraged by that at the time.

Make no mistake, though -- two WRs will be cut. I seriously seriously doubt we'll cut three. IMO, to carry 6, 2 guys have to be extremely solid, and one is likely to be a stud. We're not there yet. The Titans will have room to carry 7, and I believe they will. I'm almost positive one cut will be Chris Davis (sorry, tiny Predator, but you'll be picked up elsewhere -- the Pats liked you a lot last year).

Roydell's injury is interesting. Barring that, he's top 3 no question...because he's been consistent. Doesn't matter if you actually like him. By interesting, I mean "How long will it last and how will it affect his season?" Interesting in this case is not very good.

I believe the coaches like the measurables of Ealy and Big Mike. Seems as though Ealy is getting an early look running with the twos, but that's probably due to RW being out. Mike Williams has a very real opportunity here, but it's a longshot on paper. But Heimi is probably pulling for him deep down. He could be the best blocking WR this team has ever had, not to mention a redzone threat.

Paul Williams is an enigma. I can't make prognostications here. And don't rule out the possiblity that Lavelle Hawkins makes no impression in camp and gets no rookie pass. I love the pick as much as the rest of you, but I won't bank on that getting him by. Since I can't answer the question, I'll leave with these considerations:

Big Possession guys - Gage, MWilliams, Ealy

"Speed" guys - McCareins, BJones, Ealy, Hawkins and PWilliams all reportedly run in the 4.41-4.47 range.

Likely best blockers - McCareins, MWilliams, Ealy

I know BJones will "flash", but I'm not sold on him for the longterm. I don't like that he's never improved (it seems) his upper body strength. I still lean toward him not making it, but you also never know who will get injured along the way to change the landscape.

My thinking is still Brandon Jones and Chris Davis are goners by the time teams have to trim to 53.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

In my opinion, Brandon Jones has a better chance of making the team than Mike Williams, Paul Williams, Chris Davis, or Ealy. He's show so much more. No matter how much you like a guy's potential in these sessions, it's the guy's who've shown it in the games that get more of a pass and are more likely to show up again in the future.

I'm pretty surprised at all of the negative talk surrounding Brandon Jones right now. Besides injuries, he's possibly the best wideout on this team. True, he dropped a couple passes last season, but I'll take that from a young guy who can work on it.

6. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

1. Roydell Williams
    2. Justin Gage
    3. Brandon Jones
    4. Lavelle Hawkins
    5. Justin MacCariens
    6. Biren Ealy
    7. Mike Williams/Paul Willams fight for the last spot 2 guys with loads of potential but who can put it together.

7. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Heimerdinger loves McCareins. Theres no way he falls to 5th behind Jones and Hawkins. Especially Hawkins.

8. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Just a list of who I think makes it not where they fall on the depth chart.

9. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I don't think Hawkins will be as high as people would imagine. The guys a rookie. If he really shows us something in camp, things might be different...but I think Hawkins will be deeper on the depth chart. Also, I think McCareins will be #3....or a situational WR. Brandon Jones has #4 spot, i think.

I think its fair to say that Chris Davis is cut, same with Ealy (who is completely overrated)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar