Dexter McCluster

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by luvyablue23, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

I'm not saying our D was not attrocious last year, but given JF's predispostion and innate reluctance to benching vets over talent; im not so sure we're that bad off on our pass rush. We got rid of Kearse and KVB and the Freak finally got benched mid season while KVB played on. I think our 'youngbloods' were more capable last year but just because of vet preference didn't see the field as much as they should have. If there is a glaring weakness I dont see it up front or in the secondary. We make a few shrewd moves and we're back to top 10 defense. JMHO
    PS; Spiller will be long gone but he is one player on offense/ST that WOULD do something in the W/L column singlehandedly. Agree?

2. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

He plays WR/RB and he can throw the ball a little...

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Good post. I agree that Ford and Hayes SHOULD have been starting as both are better pass rushers than KVB and Kearse. However, I don't know if either of them will be a dominant pass rusher. Ford had a lot of snaps last year and still only had 5.5 sacks. Can he handle starting 16 games and more snaps or will that wear him down and lessen his overall effectiveness? Hayes got a lot more snaps and started 11 games and yet only had 4 sacks. Is he gonna triple that? While the answer might be yes, the answers might also be no. One thing we did not prepare well for last year was what if...what if we lose our 2 starting CB's, what if a double digit pass rusher can no longer get it done...what options do we have. If Ford or Hayes can't become dominant, we currently have no other realistic option for a double digit sack guy on the roster. And because of HOW our D works...even if one of those guys becomes a dominant pass rusher, what happens if that one guy gets hurt? This is why we need a stud pass rusher in this draft. If we have 3 chances (Ford, Hayes, rookie) for a dominant stud, we'll be in decent shape.

I'd agree Spiller could have a difference in the won/loss column and frankly would go a long way to extending CJ's career as you could rest CJ a lot more with little to no loss in production. CJ's also a super dynamic returner and 3rd down nightmare for defenses. I love Spiller and if you were TRULY a BPA drafter regardless of position, Spiller would probably be the pick at 16 IF he fell that far (I think he's a top 10 talent). I think he's long gone and definitely someone the Giants and a handful of teams ahead of us would look hard at.

I don't think they'll take a RB because we don't need one. If White isn't going anywhere, we already have our top 3 on the depth chart and can grab a returner/WR mid-late in the draft.

Gut

4. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

I agree Spiller will be long gone but I wouldn't classify him purely as a luxury pick if he fell to us. For whatever reason; the scheduled visits indicate that we do have interest in adding another RB albeit a power back.

Regarding the statement of not planning for what ifs..It seems that has been the case since the playoff game against the Ravens.
    What if something happens to CJ? Check
    Then...
    What if Carr doesn't return? Check
    What if we have injuries? Check
    What if the loss of Haynesworth has more of an impact than we figure?
    Looking at our schedule; what if we start slow out of the gate?
    What if the players have to adjust to Cecil?

JF is an adequate Coach but last year some of the decision making really baffled me. I honestly thought after the Patriots game that the last remaining what if is if Fisher is gone.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I'd disagree with you. Spiller would be a luxury pick because at BEST he'd be #2 RB and have limited playing time and probably would not become a fulltime starter for years...if at all. And we don't need that much help on offense and the help we do need is not at RB. There is a 50/50 Spiller is available at 16 (someone I hope would want to seriously trade up for him so we can move back and get a 2nd rndr. There are too many variables to accurately figure out the top 10...let alone the top 16. We may not get the top 5 right either...

All coaches have what if plans. Losing Cj in the Ravens game didn't kill us, turnovers on offense and a couple of big plays given up by our D did. Not exactly Fisher's fault.

They knew Carr wasn't gonna return because they chose not to meet his demands of letting him start. It's funny that so many people want Wilson or Arenas because they can return kicks. Mouton was a returner too...how'd that workout? Frankly, Mouton would be fine if we had a decent special teams coach.

No team is adequately prepared for losing there 3 best CB's. The problem was that the combo of that plus not having a pass rush killed us.

As for AH, it wasn't so much Hayensworth as it was KVB being done. Our best pass rushing came from our DT's...the problem was Kearse didn't do much (nor did he the year before) but KVB...with single blocking couldn't beat anybody. He had trouble beating backup OT's 1v1. As a coach you're left with do I hope he comes around or bench one of the few team leaders on D. They chose to play KVB, I would have chosen differently.

What would you suggest they do differently for starting slow out of the gate or players adjusting slow to Cecil?

I was not surprised that Fisher kept his job because the injuries and key players getting worse forced us into bad schematic situations. With little pass rush (due to KVB and Kearse and the coaching staff not willing to bench them), it seriously exposed our scheme and players in the secondary. With the D giving up a lot of points and the OL inconsistent in run and pass blocking early on, KC had to try and make more plays with his arm instead of not forcing anything and throwing the incompletion and punting the ball - relying on our great D to get it back. Collins under pressure having to force balls into coverage is a bad recipe. Add in the 'star' players making untimely mistakes from WR's dropping first downs/TD/bombs to free blitzers jumping with the QB pumpfaking instead of sacking the QB, DE's ignoring run responsibilities and losing contain, poor angles of pursuit, lack of effort in pursuit, ect.

If the 0-6 start had continued, Fisher would be somewhere else right now. But since the team turned it around and worked to the point of having a slim chance at the playoffs...Fisher wasn't gonna be fired. For the most part, the team played better after the 0-6 start instead of tanking the season like so many teams do. That shows ownership the team wants to play for him.

Fisher certainly has his flaws, but I didn't think he was getting fired last season after the turnaround. He probably can thank VY and CJ for his job. This season will be MUCH harder so it'll be interesting to see how he handles the draft, schemes, ect to prepare for the toughest schedule in the NFL. His first priority should be to get the D back to dominance followed by being able to beat INDY, HOUSTON, and the JAGS.

Gut

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I feel as though the team came around to play for Vince, and not Fisher.

7. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

God no; he's a good player but in our case with our needs unfortunately he's a waste of a pick

8. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

I feel they came around to play for both and b/c no one on any part of the team/staff wanted to end the season as the worst team in the league

also b/c they felt a playoff chance was still possibly in their grasp

Course I dont see Fisher as the great motivator, but I also still dont see Young in the locker room as leader trying to get the team pumped up either

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar