Dexter McCluster

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by luvyablue23, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

Gut, thanks for your writeup on DMC. I agree that D is a concern and a priority however I still think there is a lot of talent thats going to be available even in Round 4. I don't think we need to draft a stud high when we can draft one later and coach him up to be the stud.
    With regards to DMC based on what I've gathered and seen on youtube
    1) I concur that he could be an extremely valuable weapon out of the slot. Yes we drafted Hawk, but for whatever reason he has failed to contribute in that capacity or in the return game. DMC would fill both.

2) Addressing his negatives and his slow 40 time; I think it is apparent that he plays alot faster than he timed. In addition his short shuttle time was the fastest among RB's. Taken fromhttp://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Throw-out-Dexter-McClusters-40-times.html
    "However, maybe an even more telling time that was recorded during the combine, but was vastly overlooked, was McCluster’s 4.06 short-shuttle drill. The short shuttle never gets the attention it deserves, but running back is a position that’s consistently asked to change directions and accelerate out of breaks. One could even make the case that the short shuttle has much more bearing on a prospect’s chances in the NFL than the 40.

And when looking over the top performances in this year’s short-shuttle, McCluster ranked first out of every participant, including California’s Jahvid Best and Auburn’s Ben Tate, who both ran significantly better than McCluster in the 40."

So what round grade do you have him as and do you realistically think he will be available at 3 or 3 comp?

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Not a guy I'm interested in adding to our team. He'll sit 2 years before he's used, so why bother. He reminds me of Chris Davis, and he's a little fella. Guys that sit and learn shouldn't be picked in round 3 considering we need players now, and have no 2nd rounder.

3. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

How do you figure he won't be used for two years? Are you against drafting Spiller too?

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Well Spiller is not coming to Tennessee number 1, and number 2; why draft another RB so early knowing we NEED defensive help right now. Say McCluster was taken with our 2nd pick in round 3; he doesn't do anything new for us. We won't use him in goal-line situations, we probably wouldn't get much different than what Ringer does. It's a huge waste of a pick to me is all. I'd have him if he was our 5th selection, but not as our 2nd pick-up in the draft.

It's simply how our positioning in this draft has played out is why I'm not anxious to draft his little self.

5. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

I agree that we need more output from the Defensive side of the ball, particularly the line. I don't know if we need more bodies or just improved output from all the guys we already have drafted over the years. I tend to support the latter. Apparently Fisher said that Babin is going to play a lot, so if he is our projected Starter; then possibly a 3rd rounder (pick 1) can come in and help out on the line.
    I think we're set at LB but we will probably add somebody for depth later on, and IF we get KB back on the cheap; we're definitely home free.
    Corner is a definite concern, but we did have Mouton last year and threw him in early. Hopefully his confidence isn't completely shattered and he can work in. If we upgraded this position at 16 with Haden or trade down and get Kyle Wilson, I'd be happy. Of course I would be thrilled if we got Mays just because I want to see some concussed Colts.
    I think you're wrong about McCluster not being used. If you look at other teams like Vikes, Saints, even Chargers and Browns with Harvin, Bush, Sproles and Cribbs; a jack of all versatile player is a valuable commodity. McCluskey would do the same things on a cheaper scale;
    1/ impact our return game
    2/ function as slot WR/RB2
    3/ allow Heimy to get creative and open up the playbook.
    4/ Ringer would still get the short yardage.

I know he's small and that concerns me but I really just want to see our offense get a little bit more dynamic. If we lose CJ; we're toast. We need to put points on the board to compete with the Colts and Texans, because even if we hold them to 20 or less; we still need to get 21. JMHO

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

On this board there are always about 8-10 guys who seem to always want to draft a RB every damn year. Get over it.

Runningbacks don't win championships. We just saw that this year when despite an incredible performance by our back we still only were 8-8 while the Saints a team that did not have a 1000 yard back won it all. In fact they didn't even have an 800 yard guy

Pierre Thomas was the Saints leading Rusher with less than 800 yards. In fact Thomas, Reggie Bush and Joseph addai combined had the same yardage as our guy.

We have no need for a runningback!

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

There is no reason to ever believe that McCluster can do anything more in the slot as a receiver than the guys we have. We have made a major commitment already to get play makers for the offense last year. Britt, cook and Washington. Mccluster is not an upgrade.

How does a 172 tweener type guy open up the playbook? He is not Percy Harvin.

If we were to trade LW for a draft pick we can get bigger backs later in the draft like Scott or Dixon.

8. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

You're missing the point; I'm not advocating drafting a pure runner especially like the two guys you mentioned in your last post.
    I'm simply saying we need a versatile weapon; you reference the Saints who won the championship but do you consider Reggie Bush a pure RB or a versatile weapon? A versatile weapon is just what our Offense needs, because CJ right now is our only option. I agree that we 'invested' alot in Britt, Cook, and Washington but let's be honest here. Britt is more than likely a great possession WR, Cook is a recieving TE, and Washington is nothing more than a butterfingered speed decoy. We need someone shifty in the slot because as you know the Hawk has been grounded. McCluster is small but very strong and you can't just categorize him as strictly a RB.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/29/senior.bowl/index.html
    Believe me last year when they showed Beanie Wells getting a phone call during the Titans selection; I was pretty worried we were going to draft another RB. That said, this guy would make things intriguing and yes, open up our playbook. How is this guy different from Harvin and please don't be predictable and reference the 40 time because everything I read says he wasn't 'coached' on the technique to run a 40 and the tape doesn't lie.

9. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

He's only 165 lbs. He needs to bulk up or he may not survive a training camp.

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Exactly what pos. does McCluster play? I've seen him listed as RB, WR, and ATH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar