Dexter McCluster

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by luvyablue23, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

I am going to go out and a limb and say that we are drafting this guy with 80% certainty. We have met with him once before and apparently we are flying him in to Nashville for an additional interview.
    I've been advocating C.J. Spiller @ 16 if he's available, but this kid looks like a poor man's version of CJ2 that we can get in the 3rd if available. Again we use for:
    1) KR/PR
    2) minimize wear on CJ1
    3) out of the slot
    4/ possible backup incase CJ1 gets injured

I don't know much about this kid, so I'm hoping some of you fans who have watched him play/watched college ball can offer some insight on Dexter's overall fit, strengths, weaknessess.
    Is he a player we need? Why or why not? Debate please

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

And exactly what formula did you use to come up w 80%?

3. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

over 20 years of following this team and gut intuition. If he's available in the 3rd; we're going to grab him I think. I did say I'm going out on a limb so please cut me some slack; besides I can't reveal the formula used; it's proprietary.

4. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

When he played against UT this past season he tore them apart. Had over 200 yards on the ground. I can't recall his 40 time at the combine and I didn't remember that he returned kicks/punts (he probably does and I just don't remember). He did kinda remind me of CJ in the game against UT but that's my only exposure to him.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

McCluster in a nutshell...

Positives - Awesome change of direction and burst. He COULD be a dangerous slot guy...especially on crossing routes, quick in's and out's and reverse pivot patterns...much like what Wes Welker runs. He'd also be very dangerous as a RB in the screen and draw game. Add him as a punt returner (possibly as a kick returner too) and you have a dangerous weapon who can give you 15-20 touches a game and net you some real impact. He played WR before being more of a RB this year. While he did tear up Tenn's D, keep in mind they wee without 2 of their starters (I forget who...think a LB and the S who plays next to Berry) due to 'problems.' Was nearly uncoverable at Senior Bowl practices on routes that play to his strengths (crossing routes, quick breaking routes). Seems to have rededicated himself to working hard and playing harder since being in a car crash with team mate Greg Hardy. (Apparently Hardy didn't have the same reaction.)

Negatives - Ran ONLY a 4.58 at the combine so he doesn't even have FAST speed for a RB let alone awesome speed. Wes Welker doesn't have a huge top end speed but relies on his quickness and change of direction. However, this LIMITS his upside value. He's also been weighed in at only 170lbs or so. That is TINY!!! While shorter players (MJD, Sproles) have been successful in the NFL, RB's that weigh under 200 lbs rarely if ever have a long career starting and usually CAN'T start. Too small to start outside at WR and too small (lb's) to be a feature RB. Also a concern he might be too small to return kicks and too slow to bring it to the house. Was not a game changer or anything resembling being uncoverable at WR. A one year wonder?

Overall - it'll be interesting to see how teams view him...especially if he can't crack a 4.50 40. If used to his strengths, he could be an effective weapon worth taking in rnd 2. Non-creative GM's/OC's should have him rated closer to a 4-5th rnd pick as his size could scare off a lot of teams and his film is very inconsistent. Some teams will downgrade him because he probably can't be a starter at RB or WR so they'll give him a lower value grade.

The Titans could use him but will certaintly have more pressing needs and have players rated as high or higher at those positions of need. The Titans really need a DE, DT, LB, CB and S more than they need a McCluster. Isn't Lavelle Hawkins supposed to be that quick slot guy and play that role at WR for us? CJ is the guy we want touching the ball on screens and draws. We can draft a KR/PR late in the draft and save our mid round picks for potential starters on D or interior OL.

I really like McCluster and certaintly could take him with our comp pick in rnd 3...but I wouldn't take him before rnd 4. Our offense is stacked with talent and doesn't need a McCluster to go farther. The BIGGEST thing the Titans NEED is a top 10 D which won't happe drafting McCluster.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. vy102000

vy102000 Camp Fodder

3rd round, im fine with it.

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Here's one thing I know about Dexter McCluster, he has a sweet name.

8. Pjames32

Pjames32 Starter

I agree that if he is there in the 3rd then we could definitely end up taking him. I have a feeling some team will take him a little too early in the 2nd though.

9. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

But is he worth a 3rd round pick over defensive help?

10. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

I might be the only one that thinks that McCluster doesn't last until round 3. I think he goes in round 2. There is going to be some team out there that sees a lot of Chris Johnson in McCluster IMO. I know that McCluster's showing at the combine was less than stellar, but I saw what this kid did in games and it contradicts his showing at the combine. I don't think that he will be attractive to teams as a #1 running back, but definately as a #2 running back with the ability to play at WR as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar