Denmarks first space rocket

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Smash, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

man.. you're all about this Smash.....

nice avatar btw

2. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Impressive. If they keep at it, soon they'll be able to copy a feat we and the Russians managed with 1960's technology!

3. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

So, I updated the first post with some links to their blogs and the support group. They're fairly "open source" and share thoughts and drawings and ask their followers for advice.

This post is about the HEAT 1X, which flew succesfully in 2011.
    It didn't get as high as expected, it the engine was cut off after 8 seconds as I recall. It was supposed to be passive stable with fins and rotation, but took and abnormal direction and the crew cut it off. The reason for this is problably high tolerances on the fins and oscillation from the engine.
    There's plenty of pictures, videos and data here:
    http://www.copenhagensuborbitals.com/campaignjune2011_data.php

But I'll post 2. The first one is made of CS, the first 5:30 is pictures with music, then video of the launch from different cameras start.

The next is from TV2 News, a 24/7 news channel which covered it live:

Next up is 1-2 posts about what's happened since then - and it's quite a lot...

4. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

The industralized killing like that is repulsive. At least they are not hiding it like the Japs do.

Still I just dont understand. I think I would not be so repulsed if they were doing it with manpower only. Meaning if they were in none motorized boats using pre industrail age materials ect...

would still be repulsive too me, but at least they would really have too work for their kills.

6. Smash

Lets take the whale killing in another thread. But I will say this. The whales not killed for fun, but for food. The meat is not for sale, but distributed equally among the island inhabitants. - And that link is full of bogus information and a product of ignorance.

But let's keep this about amateur rockets.

7. Smash

So this post is the first of 2 about what has happened since last year. This part is focusing on the engines.
    They've realized 3 things based on experience from last years launch regarding the engines.
    1) They probably need a 2 stage rocket to reach their goal
    2) They need active guidance
    3) Hybrids might not be the way to go.

1) 2 stage rocket is what they'll launch tomorrow, Friday. It's based on the reliable HATV hybrids. The first launching tomorrow has a 4 seconds 1st stage burn, 8 second delay and a 2 second 2nd stage burn. It's merely a proof of concept launch.
    The rockets are named SMARAGD 1 and 2. SMARAGD 2 will be fueled for a higher flight, later this year, if tomorrow is successful. No more talking, this video does all the explaining.

2) They've developed a system for active guidance, using copper jetvanes. They've tested it in their VTC (Vertical Test Cell) with success and will try to launch 2 of the smaller scale HATV hybrids this year. The rockets are named SAPPHIRE 1 and 2.
    High speed video from the test:

3) As mentioned earlier, the HEAT 1X hybrid has a tendency to oscillate. Hence that, they've started testing liquid propelled engines, mainly the TM65 "Tordenskjold".
    This video is about the test and the engine action starts about 20:00 in.

And a video about the rocket

They haven't cancelled the hybrids though. They know they work and are using them as smaller test rockets. Like this LES (Launch Escape System) engine, whose functions is to pull a Apollo-like capsule away from a malfunction rocket, which explains the angles of the vanes.
    It's scheduled for launch test in 2 week with a capsule (more about that in the next post)
    Video from the test, with bottom up.

8. Smash

So, the capsule. They've more or less ditched the Tycho Brahe capsule on HEAT 1X. They couldn't guarantee for the safety of the astronaut. So they've switched to a Apollo-like design. It's called Tycho Deep Space (TDS) and named Beutiful Betty, after Betty Page.

[​IMG]

It's diameter is 2000mm, but it's probably not gonna be the "final design". They're aiming for a diameter of 1600mm, because that's easier to handle with their manufacturing equipment.
    In the following link you'll find videos of the Drop test, the (manned) parachute test and the separation test.
    The drop test was made at Odense Steel Shipyard. A former shipyard owned by Maersk and which final products were the Maersk E-class container-ships. Now it houses several companies within the offshore company. But they still have their big ass cranes, a perfect place to drop a space capsule. So...

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

[​IMG]
    good call!

Bettie was from Nashville in case you didnt know

10. Smash

Which brings us to the future. As I mentioned earlier, the SMARAGD 1 (2-stage rocket) is launched somewhere between 10.00-14.00 UTC+2, that would be 03-07am Nashville time if I'm correct. Expected apogee is 20km.
    They had plan on the TDS/LES launch as well, but the tanks failed a 150% pressure test and they couldn't get a new one in time, so that'll wait a fortnight.

Next launch window is 10-12th of August. the TDS/LES is planned - apogee 1km, as well as SMARAGD 2 fully loaded, expected apogee of 60km.

Following are some for now unplanned windows for SAPPHIRE 1 and 2 with active guidance. Details of expected apogee and range are not available yet.

And a teaser:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar