Defense Rebuild: Interior Defenders

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Feb 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

This is one of the big kahunas. As anyone who saw the Super Bowl can attest, pass rush REALLY helps wins championships. I couldn’t even believe my eyes seeing Mahomes running for his life. Every team in the league took notice. It's fairly safe to say that NO ONE will be able to pull together a group like Barrett, Suh, Vea and Pierre-Paul in all likelihood. But let's talk about what we have, and then what we can do.

DT/DE

Simmons is the closest thing we have to a stud. As the year went on, he ran down a bit (constant double teams will do that to you) but he is still going to be a key piece of our Defensive front. But he needs a LOT of help.

Daquan is a FA and my prediction is, he will not be back. We have to get more aggressive in the front five, and while Daquan is good, he is far from great.

Jack Crawford is also a FA who I can’t imagine will be back, unless as a backup.

Laurell Murchison thoroughly underwhelmed at DL but will hopefully bring some competition with an actual training camp anticipated.

Tier Tart… This one is interesting. Tart looked really good at times late in the season and showed some pass rush ability. That being said, I can’t imagine a world where he’s a presumed starter in 2021.

Free Agent Possibilities

Leonard Williams is the cream of the crop this free agency cycle and will probably seek $13-$16 million/yr. We could pull this off with the right contract, and pairing him with Simmons would be awesome. Unfortunately, he will have plenty of suitors if the Giants don’t resign him.

Shelby Harris is 30 but is coming off an 11 sack dominant year and could be had for a reasonable price I’d imagine.

Sheldon Rankins had a big 2018 but hasn’t followed it up consistently. He’s young though and has flashed plenty of potential.

Solomon Thomas has a ridiculous draft pedigree for such mediocre production. That being said, maybe he could thrive in a new system and would not break any banks.

My choice: Sign Shelby Harris AND Solomon Thomas AND draft DL in the 2nd.

Draft

If our first two picks aren’t spent on EDGE and/or DL I will blow a gasket. Unfortunately, there isn’t much in the draft for interior defenders this year. Outside of Basham, Barmore or Odeyingbo, there really isn’t an immediate impact player available. If one of those guys falls close to us in the 2nd though, I can’t see us passing them up.

Thoughts?

2. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

I like barmore and paye for draft prospects (I'm not anything close to a prospect expert though). Doubt either fall to us but they're my top two in the draft.

Leo Williams would be dope, but I don't think we can afford him/would take the risk after clowney/beasley.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

I don’t want any more unproductive FA who may thrive in a new system. We wore that record out. The three guys you want in the second may wind up going in the first. This will be an interesting draft with no combine. Since the scouts couldn’t go to games in person either, evaluations will be tricky.

4. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

All three will probably be gone in the first but if one fell into the second I could see us making a play to move up. I think we go edge 1st in all likelihood.

The pro day combine sounds like it will work for players at top tier schools but will make it harder to find those small school gems.

5. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Barmore paired with Simmons would be a good route to go

DEs I like are Paty, seen him be mocked anywhere from 12 to us at 22

I agree with FAs, not sure we have enough to sign our own FAs let alone "splurge" on big names that may Orman not produce

Unfortunately alot of the D needs to be built through the draft

6. TitanMark

TitanMark Pro Bowler

And interest in JJ Watt ? I am sure he will be released. He wants out and Houston can’t pay his $17.5 million and no one will trade for him knowing that.

7. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I would think there would be but could we afford him?

How much does he have left? Missed alot of games in the last couple of seasons

I'm sure he would love to play Houston twice as a year too, but I would think he would want a ring, may not see us as that opportunity

If he's released...Pittsburgh with his brothers or GB would be my guess

8. TitanMark

TitanMark Pro Bowler

I would think he would view us as a better RING opportunity than Pittsburgh or even Green Bay. I totally understand why those 2 teams jump off they map but I’m not sure the Steelers will be relevant going forward. Steelers and Packers are way over the cap. They just can’t sign him. I’m not sure he will be that crazy expensive. He won’t get $17.5 million.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I haven't looked at the cap situations of Pitt and GB. As long as we don't spend too much and still draft that position early id be fine with him
    Just don't want another Clowney type signing

10. TitanMark

TitanMark Pro Bowler

I get it .. he has a recent injury history. He is older. That’s the FA fear I guess and the chances you take.

Pittsburgh is $21 million over the cap
    Packers are $18 million over

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar