Defense Rebuild: Defensive Backs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Feb 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

So, I think we can all agree that with the “promotion” of Shane Bowen to defensive coordinator, the only way this defense improves will be with a bit of a roster shake up. First up, I’d like to talk about the defensive backs. Here are my thoughts to begin the discussion.

Safeties

Both of our starting safeties regressed in 2020 but after three stellar seasons from Byard 2017 to 2019, this last season really feels like an outlier. I have plenty of confidence in Byard going forward and his contract is too big to move anyway.

Vaccaro on the other hand is turning 30 next week and just had likely the worst year of his career. I expect him to be cut with a June 1 designation. So who replaces him?

Amani Hooker makes the most sense. He’s improved every year and graded better than both of our starters this year. His 4 picks were nice as well and he costs peanuts.

But… If the Titans feel the need to make a move here, they could make a run at either Jalen Mills or Keanu Neal. Both are coming off solid years, both are young and both wouldn’t break the bank.

Cornerbacks

Adoreeee! Who saw that year coming? Adoree is the obvious casualty here. I can't imagine the Titans would want to spend $10.2 million on him after this past season. They can cut him with zero dead cap. Sorry Adoree, it’s been fun.

Butler played possibly his best season this year… at age 30! This guy is under contract, a gritty defender and has a few more good years in him. I think he stays.

So who plays opposite him?

My feeling is we bring back ERFA Breon Borders to compete with Kristian Fulton for the spot. Hopefully one of them emerges in camp, otherwise we add some competition late.

Also, at slot corner, I’d really love to see us bring back Desmond King III at a reasonable price. He fit in well in the locker room and has loads of potential.

Thoughts on the Defensive Back situation for 2021?

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. RTH

RTH Meh...

A good Dline improves the secondary SIGNIFICANTLY.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

We’ll talk about that later.

4. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

My only concern is we have not tied up guys after injury such as Conklin and filled the spots with average, middle of the road players like Kelly. If Adoree’s performance is tied more to his injury and post injury fatigue/ weakness then it may make more sense to sign him to a better longer term contract where it is more cap friendly. We don’t have to pay him the option number, we can renegotiate and again, if his poor play was a result of his injury, it may well be worth the effort.

5. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Butler stays on a restructured deal
    Adoree coming off an injury won't be cut, he'll be restructured as well
    Vaccaro is gone, Hooker hopefully fills in
    Fulton had injuries as well, he's young and has talent, needs PT

Like mentioned a better DL will help too...with more pressure on the QB, our secondary will look better

Hopefully the DBs don't physical distance all year

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. Tricky

Tricky Starter

Vacarro probably gone and I trust Hooker at this point.
    Adoree will get extended and reduce his 2021 hit a ton.
    Butler and Byard will be back.

The question to me is whether they bring King back or trust Fulton to step up. I think this group is fine if they have some pass rush helping them out.

7. Tricky

Tricky Starter

Also... now that I know they can cut Adoree with zero dead cap... someone please tell me why you wouldnt always exercise the 5th year option. We could've placed it on Conklin and Corey and just cut them if it didnt work out right? Seems like a no-brainer, I must be missing something.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Davis' 5th year option was 15.86 million, I can see why they declined that. Not picking up Conklin's was the right choice at the time but in 20-20 they should have, it was 12 mil?

9. Tricky

Tricky Starter

But you have to pick it up or decline it before their 4th year. Why not pick it up and judge after the 4th year? Just cut them if it's not worth it. In both cases they couldve extended and not taken that big hit in year one. The players dont want to play on a 1 year deal anyways.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Oh I didn't know that, thought I read on here thats why we didn't pick up Davis'...you're right we should have..he hasn't lived up to draft slot or a #1 but we have Brown. CD makes a good #2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar