David DeCastro

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by satkins2252, Mar 26, 2012.

?
  1. Draft

29 vote(s)
    78.4%
  2. Pass

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satkins2252

satkins2252 Starter

Munch said likely they are not going to draft OL early unless they are someone special. I think DeCastro qualifies.

2. satkins2252

satkins2252 Starter

Are you ok with an "alright" gaurd? I think we as fans have learned to have low expectations.

Let me present my argument,

First lets identify the Titans positions of need.

Secondary. Both safeties are mediocre and one is on a one-year franchise tag. Additionally, both corners are above average corners but neither spectacullar. Our secondary is average at best. It should be upgraded soon or the future is ugly.

DL. The DL was very poor, obviously, ranking as one of the worst in the league in pass rush. In my opinion they have upgraded the DE position but lost an important piece of the line when Jason Jones signed with the Seahawks. The Titans have two good DT's with some depth. Dont write off Klug as a starter before it has been proven that he cant do it. No doubt, the Titans need depth across the line. All solid starters but with little depth. They need a star. Is there one in this draft? Maybe. Ultimately, an above average group.

Finally, OL. The tackles are amazing. They filled 1 of 3 missing parts with Steve Hutchison. Nobody on the roster has the ability to start at center and excel. We can get by by placing either Amano or Harris at the other gaurd position. Now we have an "ok" player and an empty slot on the line. Some depth is provided as well.

If everyone agrees with this breakdown then clearly we have the most need on the offensive line. The other groups are weak, but not incomplete.

So heres your choice. Do you draft DeCastro a certain impact player in what is arguably the position of highest need(yes, you can gamble on one in later rounds), or do you gamble on a DL that the Titans are weak but complete.

This explains my reasoning for my top 5(realistic) options:

1. David DeCastro
    2. Cordy Glenn
    3. Whitney Mercilus
    4. Stephon Gilmore
    5. Fletcher Cox

All good prospects with little other worries such as injuries, off-field issues, etc.

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

One thing you can say in favor of drafting DeCastro:

If we can get the ground game back to where it was two years ago, that will take a lot of pressure off of our defense.

Less YPC = More 3 and Outs = Defense on the field longer

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I just see a bunch of flaws here.

I called Amano "alright" at G, and you took that as "alright" at the position overall. Heck, Amano doesn't play G for us! I just was pointing him out as
    possibly filling that role if needed (unlikely it would be needed).

With Hutchinson, Harris & Velasco, we are good at G.

"We can get by by placing Harris at G?" Heck, that's not placing him there, he's our starting G lol.

And no, you can't argue G is the highest position of need when we replaced the worst G (Scott) with a better one (Hutchinson) and there's already 2 other starting caliber G's on the roster (Harris & Velasco) when we have bigger holes at DE, DT, C and arguably CB & S.

5. wg53

wg53 Starter

Hutchinson is not the same player he used to be. Prepare to be disappointed.

6. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

He'd have to be worse than Scott/Amano/Harris for me to be dissapionted. I think the majority of us are happy we have an upgrade, albeit an older veteran.

I'm almost convinced if their DeCastro/Glenn are there we're picking them and grooming them with the Veteran guys on our o-line.

Let's be realistic, Hutchinson is a stop gap for 2 seasons. Looking long term we need to start to develp the oline.

The dline althought not complete or elite, is very young and is developing. Same can't be said for our o-line.

7. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

It all starts with a good anchor at center...and our center SUCKS.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Not to be harsh but this is the type of thinking that you don't want to have in the draft. A few years ago we took Morgan, a DE just as heralded as these guys (16th pick) we probably will have a choice of. Morgan might still turn out to be a solid player but I seriously doubt he is an all-pro player. Point being it is entirely possible if we take a DE with the #20 pick we get a decent but nothing special guy. Very possible. There is always this flawed thinking that as long as we pick a guy in the 1st round that means he is going to be real good. No, if you don't pick the right guy he won't.

Now ideally this decision would be even easier if DeCastro were a stud C. Then people would see the need and be all over the guy. But don't get too focused on need. It results in poor decisions. These DEs we may have to choose from are not Dwight Freeney. I seriously doubt a stud DT or S falls to us either (there is only one S even worthy of a 1st round pick and he might not be 1st round material). DeCastro IS a Dwight Freeney of OGs.

The other flaw I see here is saying Harris or Velasco make us alright at OG. I don't think Harris had a very good year last year. Velasco might not be as good as Harris. Amano might even be our best OG outside of Hutchinson (he did start at LG for us ahead of Harris before moving to C) but is probably comparable to Harris. Still, we have a chance to draft a guy who might be a young Hutchinson, an all-pro caliber guy. Since it doesn't look like we will be inserting a stud C this year unless we upgrade an OG significantly one side of our OL won't be any better than last year and Hutch might not be playing at an all-pro level anymore.

I also don't see how this argument we have starting caliber OGs wouldn't apply to S, CB and DE right now. Don't we have starting caliber guys at those position as well? Someone could even argue that Casey, Klug and Marks are "starting caliber" DTs. Marks might be as good of a DT as Harris is an OG.

The problem is our "starting caliber" guys at many positions aren't studs. What we need are studs. In the first round you aren't just looking for a guy who can beat out whoever you already have in that spot. You want to make a big leap, a big upgrade. DeCastro gives us that. When picking from the 20th spot we will have a number of guys we can choose from who might be decent starters. We won't have many to choose from that are real difference makers. Take the guy who is a difference maker at his position.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Amen to that. F*** going strictly off of need, that's how you end up screwing yourself.

10. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar