Dan Koppen released by Patriots.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by J Falk, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic28

Sonic28 Starter

We need another guard with Durand going to IR. Matthews has been playing a lot of guard in the preseason. I think Matthews slides over and Koppen is the backup if we sign him

2. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Sign him and get some inside info on the pats for week 1?

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'd sign him atleast for depth, potentially a starter.

4. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

This one makes alot of since to me

5. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

Bengals need a center bad too. Hopefully we can get him.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Koppen probably isn't a big enough upgrade to Velasco (if an upgrade at all) to bring in as a stater at this point. So the only way he could bring value is how good they think he would be an OG backup as well. If they bring a guy in they would want someone able to back up both C and OG IMO. Matthews did a pretty good job of showing he can play some OG as well as C so I think he is safe. Not sure Koppen can play OG since all his games in the NFL have been at C. He is also coming off a fractured ankle last seaosn so maybe he isn't the same player he was.

I would have loved to bring him early and allow him to compete for the starting spot but now I'm not sure he is worth it unless we have another injury at C.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

It makes sense to me.

8. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Cowboys will sign him.

9. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

Munch said no

10. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

It’s certainly possible the Titans could do a bit more roster shuffling before they arrive on the roster that will enter LP Field for the game against the Patriots on Sept. 9, but coach Mike Munchak doesn’t envision making a change at center.

The Patriots on Friday cut center Dan Koppen, a player the Titans had in for a visit during the offseason. But it doesn’t sound as if the Titans have interest in him anymore. Fernando Velasco is the current starter (replacing the injured Eugene Amano) and Kevin Matthews the backup.

“I think we’re real happy with our centers, so I’d say no, we’re not looking to really do anything right now with the center position,” Munchak said. “Knowing (Koppen) he’s strictly a center, that’s where he’s comfortable and that’s really where he’s going to play. We’re happy with Fernando and the direction we’re heading with our first five.

“(Koppen) is a good football player. I’m surprised it didn’t work out for him there, but right now, I think we’re happy with our center.”

Source: Titans Insider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar