Current Cap Money Available

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Don, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Don

The Don Upsetting The Apple Cart

I don't know if this is true or not, but one cap guru told me that we currently sit $500,000 under the cap. I assume this number includes the current amount held by #9, and his current contract.

If true, then we virtually have zero money available to sign our picks. That is until we restructure/cut McNair, and possibly restructure a few others, (Sirmon, et al)

The Ravens have stated that they have all the leverage in the McNair trade/release saga, which they do if the above is true.

If we wait on the McNair deal to keep him out of the Ravens camp, how can we get our picks signed and get them into Titans camp?

If we go ahead and sign our guys, and in turn blow by the cap figure at mach 3 with our hair on fire, then the handwriting will be on the wall and the Ravens can simply wait until "Black Monday" or whatever day the cut falls on.

Then if we do find a comfortable figure between the team and McNair, inevitably some other guys will have to go. Of the drama ....

Resident Capologists ... set me straight on our dollars please.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Sirmon could likley be swapped for a handful of rookies

Paytons base is looking shakey.

Too bad Thompson just got a bonus cause his play has not deserved it.

One of those DEs probably gots to go, same with a DT

There probably is enough painless cuts, from a talent perspective, and renegotiations to keep McMVP contractually hostage till 1Sept.

3. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

And don't teams also get "rookie pool" money?

4. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Rookies don't have to be signed untl mid-June or something like that, as I recall.

That leaves us with plenty of time to do some moves.

5. Titantonic

Titantonic Camp Fodder

Your figures are correct Don, and they do include McNair's full cap hit (close to $24 million). Trading or releasing McNair would free up the $9 million salary he is due this season (the $1 million bonus due in September isn't on the books yet as far as I know, I could be wrong.). His $14-million plus in pro-rated bonus money would still be on the books. But, McNair isn't the only avenue to get money (we probably need to free up about $5 million to sign the new class). Releasing Piller and Sirmon would be another choice, and of course, other contracts can be re-structured, but let's not forget that's how we got into the cap mess to begin with, so I'm sure Reese will be very careful who he re-structures. We won't start negotiating with the rookie class until July, probably, so by that time the money will be there one way or another. Obviously, McNair will be renegotiated (doubtful since he insists on a multi-year contract) released or traded before training camp starts.

Sunshine....the "rookie pool" is a mysterious thing to me. We hear it talked about but I've never been certain how such a "pool" works. All I know is that from everything I've read, the Titans definitely need to free up about $5 million or so to sign this year's class.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

You need a portion of your cap freed up for the rookie pool. I don't remember exactly...SK would know...but they determine how much of a pool you need based on what your picks are. Then you negotiate with your draft pick from that pool of money. However, it's still part of your cap.

The Titans should have 3 plans...

First, what they will accept in trade for McNair.

Second, how much they are willing to pay McNair in a re-negotiation.

Third, how to pair the roster down and keep McNair at his current salary if they don't budge on restructuring his contract. I would guess we'd end up cutting Sirmon and a few others. It can be done but I don't think Reese will do it.

Unlike what the Ravens are saying, they DONT have all the leverage in this situation. In fact, they have none. McNair is under contract with the Titans. If the Titans had to release McNair in July or August, that's precious little time for McNair to learn their system and really contribute right away. I think it would end up not helping them too much this year. And if they are gonna pay McNair big bucks, they need to get him NOW!

Plus, if McNair stays on the trade-block, the Ravens won't be the ONLY team calling and if the Titans trade McNair to someone else...where does that leave the Ravens? Losing as usual.

BTW, the Jets could sure use a good vet QB along with a few other teams.

Gut

7. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Titantonic is correct. Also, the $1M due McNair in September doesn't count against the cap yet, and never will be unless and until it's actually paid to him.

There is no "extra money" that is made available to a team for their rookie pool. Each team must sign their rookies withing the existing cap of $102.5M, although each team will be given a different pool number, based on their draft picks.

8. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

If the grievance arbitration allows McNair to be cut, then the Titans have no leverage.
    Don't expect McNair to renegotiate until the arbitration decision.
    Unless he really does love us, that is.

And if he doesn't, let him go.

9. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

from KFFL:

Titans | Team allocated rookie salary cap pool
    Thu, 4 May 2006 22:35:39 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the National Football League allocated the Tennessee Titans $5,844,517 million under the 2006 rookie salary cap pool, according to a source with access to NFL Players Association salary data.

10. And for what it's worth, $2.75M of that already counts under the cap, so we just need about $3.1M more from here on out for the rookies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar