Could the Saints trade for Mariota?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by petergriffin16, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

If a team is willing to trade up to #2 for a QB, then they ARE desperate.

However, I do agree with you, this is just speaking in hypothetical ... My belief is that the Saints have no real interest in trading Brees or trading up to #2.

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

You guys gotta chill with the pro day nonsense. In Draft Day, did Kevin Costner ever bring up someone's pro day? NO HE DIDN'T.

All we need to do is find out if Mariota gave the 100 dollar bill back. Until then...we wait.

• LOL LOL x 2
  3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Lol that movie was awful.

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

It was so bad that it was almost good. If that makes sense.

Okay entertaining, not good.

5. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Tell that to Teddy Bridgewater.....

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Yeah, I hear you. The only difference is, Teddy B ran a more pro style offense. I think Mariota can shine if he is put in the right system, but I think a lot of his hype is based on his size/athleticism and the success of Oregon etc. It will be interesting to see how he does and where he goes.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Teddy's stock was falling well before the pro day. The pro day was just the final nail in the coffin. Like I said, it's a part of the equation but not the end all, be all.

My main point was that I do not believe an unspectacular pro day is going to cause him to slide from an easy top 5 pick all the way down to #2o as you suggested.

#28 SawdustMan, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  9. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

If the Saints want to make that deal, I wouldn't even ask for Brees as part of it, I don't want 2 years of an aging QB only to have to find our next QB again. At least if Mett plays this year we will learn if he can cut it or not.

But in any situation if I'm trading down from #2 and passing on Leonard Williams or a stud pass rusher, I'm getting a future #1 out of the deal. That's because with two #1's next year, we have ammo to move up and target a QB we like in a better draft class.

The #31 pick is basically a 2nd rounder. According to the draft chart (which admittedly is outdated but gives a good idea of the worth of the picks), #2 is worth 2600 points, #13 is 1150, #31 is 600, #45 is worth 450. That's still just 2200 points.

Now keep in mind, teams that move up for QBs, especially in the top 5, not to mention top 2 have to overpay. I'm asking for next years #1 and #2 as well and there's no way they'd give that much up. They already traded away the players I'd ask for so I just don't see this deal going down.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

His Pro Day PROVED he'll struggle making the switch under center?

HOW???

He basically messed up a couple of short throws...1 due to footwork and the other he just short armed. Almost all of the other misses were on GO routes. The harder routes IMO...post, skinny post, seam, smash, dig, 15yd outs he threw really well. And that didn't even show his strengths. He won't struggle based on his Pro Day except for throwing deep GO routes. IF he struggles it will be changing how he reads defenses, the speed of the game, throwing into tighter windows, and learning a new offense for only the 2nd time since he was a kid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar