Could the Marlins move to TN?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by KTOWN TITAN, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

I saw a story on ESPN about locations the Marlins would consider if they were to relocate the franchise. I don't think its an if but rather when. Cities that were brought up were Charlotte, Memphis and even Nashville. Others were mentioned as well. They made the strongest case for Charlotte, but I think Tennessee would get some consideration. Memphis would be a decent place to put a baseball franchise. I could see it. I would say Nashville but we can't fill all the seats for the franchises we have now. I consider myself a Braves fan but it would be an easy switch if Tennessee landed a MLB franchise. What do you guys think?

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Charlotte? A basketball state that struggles at times to show enough support for their football team. I don't see it..

Nashville is great geographically but with a football and hockey team i doubt it.

Memphis has a strong baseball tradition going back to the negro leagues. I would love to see memphis get a baseball team and the fans would sure care more than in south florida. Hell i would go to a game a year just for the food.

Wouldn't that be great for tennessee to have a MLB team in memphis to go with the titans in nashville?

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

As an outsider, all I see is failure. Baseball in Tenn does nothing for me. I can't imagine it. That said, one team that always suprised me, was the memphis showboats. If I remember correctly, that was one team that really got some serious support which I thought would fail miserably. I imagine that the Memphis Showboats were the main reason the Oilers thought they could move to TN Successfully. So if it happens, I think it's worth a try, cause you just never know. I suspect season one and two will be successful, but then you need a product. The Marlins history, however, is not fan friendly. They sell all the good players off and don't develop. They do win, buy the fan allegiance is weak because they players leave so quickly.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I dont think Tennessee is a good place for any team that has a season longer than 16 weeks. We don't have the people, the money, etc to make it work. Memphis would be a place it might work, or maybe even knoxville. I think they'd be better off going to Louisville since they don't have a single pro team for some unknown reason.

5. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

I wouldn't really want the Marlins anyway. Their owners just straight up don't care about that team. Their payroll for 2008 will probably be less than Ted Lilly's salary

6. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

Memphis would be the best place and I'd take the Marlins over many teams out there right now.. they've shown to have the ability to grow, nay flourish through the use of the farm system and have 2 World Series Titles to show for it since their inception in 1993.

7. maximus

maximus Starter

If they would come to TN, it would be Nashville. Problem would be building a baseball stadium. Riverfront, where the sounds want it?

My MLB teams are the Devil Rays and Astros, but I would add the Marlins in a heartbeat.
    Nashville is divided on baseball teams, like Nashville before the Titans, and could very much unite behind one team, given the opportunity

8. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

I lean toward Memphis. Baseball could really take off there. To many question marks in Nashville. Stadium, support ect. We all remember the NFL YES! stickers. I envision a similar situation if a MLB team wanted to move in. Screw the schools!!! build us a new stadium!!!

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Just shows you how crappy of sports region South Florida is.. Two championships in their short time in the league and they still don't support the team. They've been trying to move for a decade now... When I lived down there you couldn't give away tickets to Marlins games - even in the year they won it all. That horrid stadium sure didn't help much though...
    Louisville is Reds territory, with their primary farm team in tow. With all the Preds nonsense MLB won't even look at Nashville. Memphis makes sense..

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Memphis could definitely support baseball and is bigger than nashville. The closest major league team is 244 miles away in st louis. You have 3 large population centers within 150 miles with nashville, jackson and little rock that are also far from any MLB town. Memphis has a strong baseball tradition and has supported AAA baseball with the cardinals. Memphis also supported a negro league team. Memphis also has a good deal of tourisim with elvis and beale street to help fuel attendance..

In nashville titans football will collide with a baseball season in august and september. If the baseball team is out of the race attendance could struggle in those last 25-30 home games.

I don't see any collision between basketball and baseball and if anything baseball would hurt basketball there. A nice sunny 75-80 degree day in september makes me think of going to a ball game not sitting indoors watching hockey or basketball.

To me there is almost a connection between the pace of the city and the pace of a baseball game. Slow cooked BBQ and the blues goes well with baseball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar