Coronavirus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by VondyP, Mar 11, 2020.

?

How worried about Coronavirus are you?

Poll closed Mar 18, 2020.
  1. Very Worried

9.4%
  2. Moderately Concerned

37.5%
  3. Not Worried

34.4%
  4. Hoaxing Hoaxers gonna Hoax

18.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Surprisingly, the human body does wonders to fight off diseases all the time.
    Yes, I’m aware that the elderly and already immune deficient are at higher risk, but they are at higher risk for everything all the time.
    My point is that the risks are always out there and this particular virus has been picked out as way more dangerous without any real facts to back that up that it’s more dangerous than existing/known about illnesses.

i don’t see any numbers that would really suggest “millions” would die, but as I stated before, this is where all the hypothetical everything comes into play. It’s really a guessing game.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Statz916

Statz916 Starter

Maryland just closed their schools extra 4 weeks until April 28th.

• Boring Boring x 1
  3. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

its really not that hypothetical.

current mortality rates:
    china: 4%
    italy: 8%
    iran: 6%
    spain: 4.5%
    uk: 2.81%
    france: 2.22%
    US: 1.68%

there are also a number of countries that havent had as much of an outbreak and arent testing much that are under the 1% mark

so for the sake of argument.. lets say 1% is the true amount.

the US has 330million people (probably well over 350 by now)... so all it takes is 1/3 the US to get it to knock out 1 million people. if this thing can spread literally with no symptoms and as easily as by being in the same room as someone with it... i mean... its pretty clear this is a huge issue.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  4. Statz916

Statz916 Starter

What’s happens when ur Mayor don’t approve with the president? Our mayor came on tv last night and said California May take different precautions than the president??? President is aiming for Easter to reopen everything and our Mayor says that’s wat to soon and we should be in lockdown until this thing isn’t spreading. Said easily a few weeks or couple months, def not years. He said his job is to make sure the American ppl are safe, and that returning to work at this time is the complete opposite. So with him against the president, can he still lockdown Cali if the president reopened the states?

5. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

Well the president hasn't locked down any states to this point and probably won't as the states are handling it themselves. Trump is just giving suggestions, it's really not up to him unless it gets REALLY out of hand one way or the other, even then states just wouldn't listen and would do what they believe to be best for them.

6. RTH

RTH Meh...

He can... but I assume the federal government can "go after them" if they deem it necessary.

However... in this case, those not siding with the President are probably in the right.

This **** will just come roaring back if we go back out so soon.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  7. RTH

RTH Meh...

Oh man... Waffle House has temporarily closed several hundred locations.

**** just got real.

• LOL LOL x 3
  8. Statz916

Statz916 Starter

Our closed down like a month ago from the food inspection ppl. Guess they had roach infestation

• LOL LOL x 1
  9. HurrayTitans!

But it is hypothetical because you’re already starting with a piece that doesn’t happen with any of the other diseases that we coexist with all the time.
    This disease infecting 1/3 of the country far surpasses every other disease by leaps and bounds which in its entirety makes this hypothetical. You say “only 1/3” like any other sickness has ever reached that kind of number.

on a global scale, millions is definitely possible just by comparison of the already existing illnesses that do the same, didn’t look into how many people die globally from from everything else but I still haven’t seen any numbers to truly back up that this is in fact a worse illness than many of the other existing viruses (as far as contraction/death vice the actual virus symptoms. I know this is worse than the flu going by effects)
    1 piece still being looked into, certainly not confirmed, is the rate of spreading because of the limited knowledge on how it’s spreading. There are so many other variables in play with that including the fact they only “discovered” how it was being spread like 3 weeks ago(?). I know the first concern and assumption was it was airborne, (lot of conflicting stories and such) but I recall reading the CDC confirmed it is NOT airborne but through droplets.

for the unfortunate less developed countries, this is the same story different disease. I agree with global travel limitations.
    I even agree with temporary limitations domestically as they continue research, but with the current numbers, I see the domestic side as overly cautious which has certainly effected other things (economy/daily living) to a likely higher concern than the possible spreading of this.

10. HurrayTitans!

That sucks. If he’s waiting for this to entirely stop spreading, CA will be on lockdown forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar