Cornerbacks in FA

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by J Titan, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J Titan

J Titan Guest

I did in NO WAY write this. im posting it from another site for discussion. http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=241902
    footballsfuture is a good titans website, and this particular thread got over 40 posts. i just thought it was fascinating and wanted to see what you say.
    i repeat THIS IS NOT MINE.

With no CB taken early it this years draft which i think was a good decison, it has left a lot of us myself included calling for a CB in the first or second round of the 2009 Draft. But i was looking at the FA list for CB. And it is pretty deep for CBs. Granted a lot of them will be re-signed and a few of them will even be franchised. I have pasted the list of all the FA CBs below and made a list of CBs that i think will not get resigned or franchised and that i think will be a good fit for our D.

Nnamdi Asomugha, UFA, Oakland Raiders
    Tyron Brackenridge, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs
    Phillip Buchanon, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Cortland Finnegan, UFA, Tennessee Titans
    Chris Gamble, UFA, Carolina Panthers
    Jabari Greer, UFA, Buffalo Bills
    Kelvin Hayden, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
    R.W. McQuarters, UFA, New York Giants
    Justin Miller, UFA, New York Jets
    Deltha O'Neal, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
    Jarrad Page, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs
    Dunta Robinson, UFA, Houston Texans

I could see Nnamdi, Justin Miller and maybe even Dunta Robinson(depending on the injury) all being Franchised.

Obviously we need to Make Finny the # 1 priority which i don't think is going to be a problem.

There are two Players inparticular that i would love to add to our team. Chris Gamble, and Kelvin Hayden. Both are former First round picks. Hayden has played really well consistently. But the Colts have shown they will draft well at CB and they will have no problem letting him Walk.

Gamble has shown Flashes at times but he has been very inconsisten. The last couple years his team hasn't been that good so that could play into that for sure. I think he would be very good on our team with our secondary.

If i had a a choice between the two i would go for Hayden. As much as I like the former buckeye Gamble i would love to take another Deffensive player from the Colts. Plus i think Hayden is a little more Athletic then Gamble.

I know there is going to be a lot of people that are going to be very hesitant to want to sign another Colt CB or a CB coming from a Tampa 2 or Cover 2 deffense. However i don't think he will struggle the Way Harper did because he is more Athletic and Faster. Plus he would have a good mentor in harper who would mentor him for the second time and eventually lose his starting Job to him for the second time.

If we do bring in hayden I would also love to bring in Deltha Oneal for Depth. He would be great Depth Behind Finny and Harper/hayden/FA/draftpick. He would be a relativly cheap pickup and would provide great depth as a third CB. I wouldn't play him much a NB because he lacks bigtime speed but he would be great for Depth and ST.

Tell me what yall think.

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Wasn't bad, I think Harper will be here 1 more year so if we do add a CB it'll be through the draft next season.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

wasn't Nnamdi Asomugha tagged this off-season? if so, i could see the raiders dealing him because there's no way they pay him the type of money they gave hall, even though he deserves it a hell of a lot more.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Nnamdi Asomugha was tagged this year. If he hits FA, he will be the most sought-after defensive player and will command way more money than we pay to anyone (sadly). I'd love to have him, but I don't see it happening unless Reinfeldt gets some visits from the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Way too early to talk about it since at least half those guys will be signed or franchised before we can get a shot at them and a lot depends on our own guys like if fuller will be resigned and how carr does in our system.

All that said a mid priced guy like hayden would be the way to go. No way we pony up $9-10M a year for some pro bowl guy.

I'm one of those who absolutely thought we should have gone CB in the first 4 rds. Mike jenkins in rd 1 would have been perfect a guy we could just plug in for the next 10 years. Maybe we will get lucky with our 7th rd pick or carr will show himself to be starting material. To be a consistent winner means being good on defense every year and that means having more than one guy who can cover on the outside. It means having solid depth. We made a huge commitment to the DE position the last 2 drafts to next year i hope we can get some DBs and another linebacker.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Not much has been said about Cary Williams. RT is right, it's way to early to discuss this.

7. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

I would like to see us add a CB early in the draft next year.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Huh?

What? This guy is no backup and he will not be cheap. He has been to 2 pro bowls. He is not slow either. You must be confusing him with someone else.

Also there is almost no way we keep harper next year. He will be 35 and will count around $4M against the cap. Money that we will need to sign a younger guy..

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Sign finnegan now!

I would consider that priority one. Finnegan is our lowest paid CB. He makes a lot less than harper and carr and even less than fuller and king. As a 7th rd pick he didn't get squat for a SB. Offer him a 5 year $15M type contract with a $3M SB and it would be very hard to turn down. If we wait and he has a good year his value basically doubles. For fuller the deal would be for about half that much but i think they will wait and hope carr beats him out for the NB in which case fuller would be expendable.

10. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

I don't think we could get him that cheaply; however, I bet we could for 5yr 20-25M (with 5-7M SB) and that will still be a steal compared to what it will take if he plays another good season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar