Cook and Reese to Meet to Discuss McNair Contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Titans GM Floyd Reese contacted Bus Cook, agent for QB Steve McNair, today to arrange a meeting when he returns to Nashville from Los Angeles. The two might not have a lot to discuss. As of today, the Titans were a mere $462,673 under the salary cap -- and that doesn't include signing the upcoming draft's No. 3 overall pick. Tennessee is going to have to find more cap room and the place it always has found it is McNair, who carries a $23.45 million salary-cap figure for the coming season. According to Cook, the Titans have only sent him one reworked contract which extended the current one for three more years but contained the same contract numbers. Cook said he submitted a counteroffer about three weeks ago -- and never heard anything back.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Only one contract? If you believe this, then you have to wonder what Reese is thinking. I truly don't understand what the "same contract numbers" mean if Reese wants three more years. Could this mean he realistically wants McNair for $3.3 mil per season? I'd think there would be need to be a large signing bonus there and nothing guaranteed beyond '07.

3. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

jeez, i didn't know our cap # was this low...

4. well if mcnair doesnt rework this, then we are going to have to release him, cause i dont think vince is gonna want to play for only that much

5. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

i can't decide what side to go with...

6. It means McNair would still get his $9M (or $10M) this year, but the $13M in guaranteed money would be spread out over the next few years rather than all hitting this year. Basically, it would just lower his cap hit while McNair would still make all the real money he is scheduled to make.

But Cook wants to get McNair a contract with more guaranteed money that is likely to last longer.

7. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Star Killer

Where else could we find some cap money?
    What if we released Bi-Polar, could we save anything there?:ha:

8. They can cut Sirmon, which would save $2.4M. And they can renegotiate with Bulluck, which would save $3M.

9. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Sirmon is probably a goner with that cap number one way or the other.

10. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

You said it..... "If you believe this..."
    It says "according to Cook"......that is one step removed from "according to Rosenhouse".
    Reese and the Titans are taking alot of bashing, mostly based on statements made by an AGENT trying to gain leverage.....mostly through the media at this point.
    Who knows!?!?!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar