Contract Talks Between Titans and McNair Stall

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

Fisher and maybe Reese don't see 2007 without significant improvement in 2006. The question is "define significant improvement"? The consensus on this board has been 8-8.

If you guys think McNair has had injury issues, how do you think Volek will hold up? Not very well I'm afraid. Even if he could take the beating, he's not as good as McNair. If he was, Reese would have cut Steve at the beginning of free agency. Assuming Volek can't start more than half a season, that leaves a rookie at QB. Since we don't (can't) run a simple Steelers-type offense (or the old Fisher-ball with Eddie pounding other teams into submission)...we don't have the personnel, aka a thumper at RB, I would not argue that Lienart, Cutler, or Young could hop in at mid-season and pull a Rothlesberger. If this was two years ago, or even last offseason, I could see your point about shooting for 2007, but not after 5-11 and 4-12 with an owner in his 80's.

2. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

my point is that while you may or may not think McNair should be with the team, I don't understand where the whole "he is a bum" type of comments come from. Folks should understand by now that the player and his agent are 2 seperate deals. The agent's job is to get the most for his player, but his attitude shouldn't affect the fan's feelings towards the player, imo.

I like Volek, but I think it is a big difference between being a backup and being "the man". I don't see where Billy has shown the ability to lead or hold up any better than Steve.

3. Being honest, both McNair and Titans have been loyal to each other, McNair is the heart and soul of our team, everybody in this team including GM, players, owner and fans believe in #9 because of his toughness and his love for the game, is true that if the agent starts to talk about the contract and the value of his client, always as a fan you get angry because of all that 4 years and Brees value talk but that does not mean that #9 thinks that too, I want #9 for at least 2 more years behind Mawae, I think he is the only QB right now that can help to turn this team around and make the playoffs, and Reese is giving him a nice supporting cast. We must wait after the draft and I am confident that Mac and Reese will restructure a contract that make Mr Adams retire that #9 jersey after 2 seasons and after Mac had groomed our QB of the future (Young, Cutler or Leinart).

4. kimberly

kimberly Camp Fodder

i wish this whole thing would just get over with so that we can move on to other things and put this thing to raps already! STEVE, DON'T MAKE ME SPANK YOUR TAIL BOY! ENOUGH WITH THE GAMES sign the two to three year deal, and lets get on with it already! the thought of have to play against steve twice in one season SCARES ME OUT OF MY SKIRT!

5. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I agree with all of your post except I might take some exception to the RB comment. I think we do have a thumper at RB who wears #20. The real question is can he get his s*** together and get on the field.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree with Brian. We draft a QB, McNair re-negotiates adn starts in '06, 2nd string in '07 and retires. Cook is blowing smoke regarding market value.

Steve has had the benefit of watching Eddie do it the wrong way.

7. I'd just let McNair play out the year with his current deal and let whichever rookie they draft start in 2007.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

OMG, imagine me of all people being misunderstood...hahaha

Careful now... I didn't call him a bum outright. I cautioned him not to be a bum. There is a huge difference. I do not want McNair to go, but if his agent thinks he can get him $25 million each year or however this thing is structured... and it's his way or the highway... Then I'm with Ewker. I'd like McNair to play for cheap... Cheap enough to be the ultimate team player... cheap enough to get the protection/recievers/talent - defense to protect a lead- whatever... See, McNair is making a monkey out of me... I know I do fine with that on my own but I hate it when I post stuff like this...
    http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showpost.php?p=143558&postcount=7
    then I end up in a thread like this mad as hell. I'm let down by this... Just like I was during the EG debacle, which btw, is a valid comparison IMO even though EG was long gone by the time I joined this forum.
    [​IMG]
    Ask yourself this... would McNair make a deal with this guy to play for free if it meant winning Super Bowl MVP?

9. Ewker

Ewker Starter

:thumb:

10. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

And I caution folks not to impose any kind of feelings what his agent says on to McNair. His agent is doing his job...trying to get the most he can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar