Conspiracy-NFL pro Mannings

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big TT, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Sure, you can dig and find anything. But a ref like Carey knows what he's doing. He knows the clock doesn't stop in that situation, and he knows 5 seconds don't magically get added to the clock.
    We all said the raiders were cheated. The Steelers were cheated. But the Patriots? No. Because everyone wanted them to lose.
    Not so fair, is it?

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

If only the NFL had a 1 foot tall referee to see what was going on down there.

I guess people don't factor in the human effect.

3. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I never thought the raiders or steelers were cheated. Yes there were some questionable calls but I've never watched an nfl game where there aren't questionable calls. And as far as I understand If officials meet to conference like they did the clock should stop. Think how upset giants fans would be if they didn't stop the clock there and the refs were standing in the middle determining if it was a first down.

4. Deuce Wayne

The Tuck Rule was far more than a 'questionable' call. So was the Polamalou interception. But if you truly believe that those were just simple mistakes that gave the other team the game, well no evidence would convince you otherwise.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Right, the NFL is fixing games. :rolleyes:

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Unfortunately, they are not only asked to call a game by the rules, but also make judgement calls too.

Look at the Villanova - Gtown game last night. The guy gets hit about 90 feet from the basket with 0.3 seconds left, and the ref calls the foul. Now should he? or should he not? Was it a competitve adtvantage? or Not? So not only do we ask them to make calls, but also make judgement calls on whether they should even make a call, and so I think we have to let them be more the most part. They are the best qualified persons to make a decision, and we all live with it.

I mean look at that Cleveland FG that went in, out, and back in. They clearly did not follow procedure to make the call, and used judgement to correct the error. But everyone was satisfied in the end. So these guys are really stuck between a rock and hard place. It's not just about making calls, they are also held to a higher degree of should they swallow the whistle too.

7. Deuce Wayne

The georgetown game was fixed. If you think fixing games in sports isn't a huge possibility, you're just not thinking. When that much money is involved, best believe someone is going to try to alter things.
    Georgetown is a mediocre basketball team that has been in battles with bad teams all year, but somehow they're #8 in the country. They lost last night. That foul would never be called by any other official in any other game. He had the whistle in his mouth just waiting to blow it for the slightest reason.

8. Deuce Wayne

If you don't think games are fixed, explain this one:
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dSIykYoM260&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dSIykYoM260&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Just a bad judgement call? 2 times in a row? lol The ball clearly doesn't go 10 yards. It clearly touches an Oregon Duck. It clearly is recovered by OK. How does this even happen? I've never seen such things in a highschool game.
    Ok, now lets go back to the Nova/GTown game. Notice how much contact is made when Nova has the ball. No whistles...then as soon as the Nova player gets close to the GT player, the whistle blows. Almost at the exact time he arrives to the ball. There was no observation there, it was anticipation.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6qplYM3KrPM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6qplYM3KrPM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    It's also Rivers that initiates most the contact by lowering his shoulder.

9. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Gloat, why would you assume georgetown loses last night? It was tied, they weren't losing. Of course fixing games is possible, but I don't believe it's probable. Everyone always complains about officiating, whether it's the nfl or 12 year olds playing pee wee football. If I thought that sports were fixed then I wouldn't bother to watch it. The only case of someone getting caught cheating in sports in recent memory is donaghy and you really don't know how much he effected games. He could have just shaved a couple points at the end of the game that really didn't have an outcome on the win or loss.

10. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

"Some people have a gift for stupidity, an almost mystic ability to withstand any form of logic." -- David Gemmell

So, here's what happened. The NFL obviously decided the Giants would win. Instead of calling penalties that favored the Giants, or doing anything that would actually matter, they decided to wait until the final 2 minutes, wait until after the Giants went for it on 4th and 1 and add 5 seconds to the clock.

If they really wanted to fix the game, they could have given the Giants a favorable spot on 3rd down. They could have called holding on any number of plays the Patriots ran the previous series. They could have called illegal downfield contact on the Patriots in the last 2-minute drive, but they decided they would add 5 seconds to the clock after the Giants went for it on 4th and 1 instead. If you really think there is a conspiracy, this is a curious choice of events.

The bottom line is the officiating crew can stop the clock while they deliberate at any time. As pointed out, if the Giants didn't make it on 4th and 1, the clock would have stopped on change of possession. While the crew was deliberating, the Giants were prevented from running a play (and hence stopping the clock was the right thing to do).

On the fumble recovery, it certainly looked on replay although the Patriots guy had the ball first - on replay. But the "down by contact" rule only applies to runners with clear possession. To argue that the first guy with his hands on the ball is "down by contact" after every fumble is ludicrous. That is definitely a break that went the Giants way, but it wasn't challenged by the Patriots and the call on the field was not incomprehensible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar