Consider

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titans2008, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Everyone seems to be deadset on taking one of the big three.

The best way to predict the future is to analyze the past. Let's take glance at the history of drafting compared to our team's actual needs, much like a GM should do. Just a few facts...

1. Good quarterback play is simultaneously the hardest thing to find and the most sought after element that an NFL team looks for. Predicting which quarterback will excel is the most difficult thing to do. There have been many, many "sure-fire" quarterbacks flop on the NFL stage. See Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Aaron Rodgers, Kyle Boller etc etc. I know some of these still have a shot to turn it around, but just something to think about. As far as the Titans' needs... we have TWO good quarterbacks. Neither is young, but a young quarterback is not really a good investment imo. Not only is the likelihood of picking the wrong one high, but the consequences of guessing wrong can cripple your team cap-wise (not to mention wasting a high pick).

2. Running backs, even the most elite among them, last no longer than ten years. Usually, they have three to four seasons at their peak, assuming they dodge injuries (very rare). This is far and away the lowest lifespan of any position in the NFL and thusly, not worthy of a high pick imo. There are also some good backs that should be available in the FA market this year (Jamal Lewis/Deshaun Foster/T.J. Duckett look like good sleepers as well as Warrick Dunn). There is also the concern that Reggie Bush cannot carry the down to down workload. Carrying 15 times per game against Pac-10 defenses behind one of the best offensive lines of all time doesn't exactly inspire confidence that he can last through a full NFL season carrying 20 times a game. If he isn't going to be an every down back, then he is even less worthy of being selected in the top 3.

3. The Titans have gotten very lucky in that there are many stud players at the positions they need in this year's draft. It's a shame we lost that 3rd rounder, really. I think the best case scenario is that the Titans find a suiter around the 10th pick area that is willing to give up a first and second to move up and take Young/Bush. Offensive line, defensive line, and linebackers are the deepest positions and are stacked at the top of the first round this year... all of the Titan's most pressing needs.

4. Consider that the running game is the most critical element to an NFL team. Having a good running game helps every aspect of your team. Running game sets up the play action game, helping your quarterback out immensely. It wears down defenses, causing them to fatigue, allowing you to make that big play at the end of a game when you need it the most. It allows your defense to rest more, since they don't take as many snaps on the field per game. Consider that the Titans had a horrible running game last year. I don't think it's fair to put the blame on either the running backs or the O-line since they are both responsible, but because of my 2nd point, I would rather see the top pick go to the offensive line. On top of all of that, we will be losing Brad Hopkins soon (he needed to go anyways imo) and there is a guy that has been a top 5 prospect for two years now that plays that exact position. Say hello to Mr. Ferguson. It just seems like the starts are alligning for us. I hope we don't ignore it.

2. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

You make good points. It is just hard to draft a Lineman...IMHO

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

bit tough to call Aaron Rogers a flop.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

no, it's incorrect to call him anything at this point
    he's playing behind one of the best QB's in history
    Green Bay is grooming him until he is ready, unlike the Alex Smith experiment. If Brett retires, Aaron will step in immediately (i guess)

Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Tim Couch - yeah ... flops

Aaron Rodgers .... not enough evidence to make any judgements

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I have no problem taking a LT if he's an exceptional talent and the Titans don't feel Roos is that player. But he'd have to be special in the Ogden and Gallery mold and I don't know if there is one of that caliber here.

6. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

No Ferguson IS that mold TJ. You want a Walter Jones-type tackle? This is your man right here. You want a OT that can bolster the pass protection (his pass-protection skills are on another level apparently, and from what I've watched, seems true). He's also has unheard of quickness for a linemen, which could stiffle speed rushers like say, oh, Dwight Freeney. The only knock on this guy is his size (295), and that can be rectified. The more I read about The Brick, the more I want him.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

^ I wouldnt be too upset if we took The Brick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar