Confidence Remains High for Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewker

Ewker Starter

Young doesn't do well when taking the snaps from under center. The coaches know that and are using his strengths which is the shotgun.

2. Brian

Brian Big Fan

IMO - Shotgun or not, he can't throw from the pocket.....yet. Forget the footwork for a minute, his mechanics are terrible.

He really needs to step into his throws and get on top of the ball. Right now everything inside the pocket (pressure or not) is off the back foot and floating.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I am referring to his mental development. By this I mean his ability to stay in the pocket until he has gone through his progressions- resisting the urge (and his natural ability) to break away and run. It appears to me he has been heavily instructed to resist running in an effort to improve/develop his mental ability to read defenses, coverages and opportunities.

Vick (and the way his QB development) is often criticized because he was never pressured to go through his progressions early in his career and often "tucked and ran".

As an aside, I have I hope he can continue to improve on his physical development. Right now, he does flutter too many deep throws.

4. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

As long as he "flicks" the ball instead of throwing it I just don't see him getting any better. Time will tell, but I don't see much improvement. He is 6'5, and still had several passes batted down at the line. He has a long way to go.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree Riverman,
    I don't understand why VY is so hesitant. He seems unsure about everything he does. The two plays where he actually didn't seem hesitant all year were his two runs for TDs againt Indy and last week. I would rather see him play like Vick did early in his career than force the guy to stand in the pocket and act like he has no clue. His biggest asset he has are his legs. Let the guy run all over the place so atleast we can have some highlite tape.
    If he can't make plays with his legs he will never be a good QB IMO. He certainly isn't going to be Dan Marino with his passing game.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

define several. i think there have been like five. collins had more than that in three games. collins is also 6'5" and has a traditional release. this whole release point argument is bunk. phillip rivers throws the same exact way and he is also 6'5".

7. lowery21

lowery21 Guest

So did Kosar. ...and you never heard anything about his motion, other than it was different.

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

As best as I can figure, the coaches are more interested in his development as a complete QB- one that can pocket pass AND "tuck and run" when absolutely necessary to sustain a critical drive or score. This year is a wash anyway regarding W-L's, so I don't particularly mind watching him struggle as he masters his pocket presence.

I wish we would run a few roll-outs to slow down our opponents secondaries. I think it would open up the seams and the top a little better.

9. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Difference is, his whole backside doesn't collapse when he throws the ball. Young's does.

Interesting that his two best throws of the year were to Bennett while rolling to his left..........front foot and over the top.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

he needs to step in to his throws, no doubt about it, but people who think he isnt completing passes because of his throwing motion are clueless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar