Computer Internet help please

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanKid4Life, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Fortunately zero....unless you count my hours lost going postal over it.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

easy....

i was just winding it up

i do not recall Firefox being available when I first used Safari

Opera has been around since way before then, but I don't remember Firfox

3. Mozilla has been around since at least 2001, and Firefox is just a cutdown version of the old Mozilla browser (browser-only). Safari came out in 2003.

A couple of other browsers used tabbed browsing as far back as the mid-90's. Opera is one of them. The other (which was the first to used tabbed browing), is long since dead as far as I know

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Is there any difference between RAM for a PC and RAM for a Laptop?

I am going to buy more RAM for my slow *** computer.

5. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

I have Avast! Antivirus.
    Also Zone Alarm as firewall
    Also Spybot Resident, not just the normal Spybot to detect spyware, but also to prevent getting it... I aslo have inmunized all the bad sites that spybot inmunizes
    I have Ad-Aware just in case i get it and spybot does nutting.
    You could also use online virus scanners to detect them (not for removal, though but it will tell you what do you exactly have)
    My favourite kaspersky

And if none of that works: The one allmighty tool:HijackThis

Visit http://www.merijn.org for info on how to use it, tutorials for the logs it generates (how to read them and tell what´s wrong) and more info and links to comunities where someone could read it for you if you ask politely for it.

Well, thats what has worked for me (usually cleaning others computers cause i dont get em anymore with all the tools i have now)

Gunny, you should get one of your ram memory modules and take it with you when you go buying cause there are many kinds!, most are the same but some have "weird" types.

You got SDRAM and DDR and also check the frecuency-speed (233Mhz? or 533Mhz?) and the number of pins (usually 184 but theres 100 too) and well, is complicated so take an old one and check that the new one has same frecuency, type (SDRAM or DDR) and number of pins... and as big as possible....

It is better to buy them by pairs, not to have a big new one, and an old one, the computer will have less problems administrating that memory.

Even better is to go to the shop with your motherboard specifications/manual, maybe you can use other kind of memory or speed better that the vendor did not use in your computer. Who knows (probably not, oh well)

6. Yes and no. Technologically there isn't much difference so far as I know. It's basically just more compact for laptops. But then every computer has to have a specific RAM card that won't necessarily work in any other model...

If you aren't sure what type of memory you need, check http://crucial.com to find out. They sell in Australia (though I'm not sure how much they charge to ship), but at least you can see what specs you need even if you don't buy it online.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

thanks sk.

8. Mrs. Bipolar

Mrs. Bipolar Football Widow

I , too, was going to suggest Hijack This. You have to run a spybot check and save the log for them to look at. They helped with some stuff I had going on with my computer last year. They are definitely good at finding hidden files. They suggested downloading System Security Suite (free). It runs in the background at all times to keep malware and/viruses/trojans from sneaking in.

9. I love hijack this. But it isn't something that I would suggest for a novice. You can easily hurt yourself with it if you don't know what you are doing.

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Technology is the same (SDRAM), however I think some Laptops have different number of pins (144 and 200 I think).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar