Collins our QB of the future?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Thats called a stereotype. You really just said that if a quarterback can run the ball, then he isn't a student of the game and doesn't have the mental capacity to play quarterback. That's just wrong. I've had the bitter pleasure of watching Tebow destroy my Vols the last three years. If we weren't already invested in a quarterback, he's the guy I'd want. He's going to be one of the guys that changes the league. He is the real deal.

Well let's never draft anybody because they are going to get hit by NFL defensive players.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I wouldn't call it a "stereotype" as much as there appears to be a high probability that QBs who rely on their legs don't make good pocket passers. Maybe Tebow is the exception but there really aren't many QBs who are.

Being an NFL QB is probably the most mentally demanding position not only in football but just about any sport. It isn't about the Wonderlic either. A good NFL QB has to see things in a nano second and make a decision and then have the physical ability to make a good play. Look at Crompton at UT. He has the physical ability but he can't seem to make the quick mental decisions neccesary. Young is that way on the pro level. Sadly I'm not sure there is much that can be done although certainly with experience and coaching guys do get better.

3. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

McNair had the ability to throw the ball in the NFL and he kept his mistakes at a minimum. THAT is the difference, and MISTAKES are why Vince will never take this team to the next level...unless of course he corrects them.

Only in 2004 at the end of his career did McNair ever throw more INT's than TD's. Vince has already had a 9/17 season last year, and 0/2 so far in part of 1 game this year.

4. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

McNair sat the three years where he would've been most likely to make those mistakes. Vince didn't have that luxury because Collins was sinking the ship. You are comparing McNair from year four to later with Vince at the end of year two.

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

It's 1/2. Oh there was also a time when some people were wondering if Billy Volek should start over McNair when Volek was lighting it up. So this shouldn't be new territory for most Titans fans.

6. Mr.biggums

Mr.biggums Special Teams Standout

Hmmmmm wasn't Vince the best passer in college the year he played the Rose Bowl versus USC.......hmmmmmm and also didn't he progress every year in Texas as a passer.... HMMMMMMMM

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Yeah, and Pat White is a great passer too!:sad2: Call me a stereotyper all you want, the Jump pass won't work in the NFL.

And if VY was such a great passer in College, how come he sucks so bad in the NFL? This isn't the Rose Bowl, this is the now, get out of the past.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Actually Pat White isn't a good passer. VY put up the bigger stats in college than Pat White.

9. teegee

teegee Guest

How do you define best passer in college? He had the 3rd highest passer rating -- behind Rudy Carpenter (ASU) and Brian Brohm (Louisville). He had the 18th most passing yards of any Div. I-A QB and was tied for the 11th most passing TD.

So I would say that, no, he was NOT the best passer in college his last year at Texas. He may have been the best player -- that's not the same thing.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Funny, since you said no running QB has ever succeeded. You mention nothing about them winning superbowls. Of course how many of those QBs were the actual reason for winning it?

Eli, Peyton, Big Ben, Johnson, Dilfer, Hostetler were not the reasons they won.

And of course there are a couple of successful running QBs in the NFL - past and present.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar