College football playoff closer than ever

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Alex1939, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I've been to Boise and Detroit. Detroit lacks a decent economy, no money, no nature... just a run down town. Boise is spralling with business, in the mountains, clean air, friendly people, low crime, it's where millionaires go to retire.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't see what the controversy is, the best team in the country won the title and everybody knows it. Bama was the best focking(Note brit pronunciation) team! They deserved to play for the title and kicked butt. If the objective is for the right team to win the trophy it worked.

The main issues as i understand it is when the games would be played, 1 vs 4 and 2 v 3 and where. The big ten wants home games for 1 and 2 because they feel they are always at a disadvantage playing bowl games in sunbelt stadiums.

To me it is simple and always has been; play the games on new years bowl week and have the championship 2 weeks later.

An extensive 8 team playoff will never happen.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Yeah the low crime thing is what bothers some people. Low crime is uncool to people like duece.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

The problem is the fallacy of the regular season being a playoff was exposed. If the regular season was a playoff then LSU would have eliminated Alabama from title contention, but they weren't. Last year's regular season was as pointless as the NBA regular season is every year. That's what they're trying to avoid now.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

To the poster who sent this thread down hill:

[​IMG]

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I agree with alex that in this made up utopia 8 10 team leagues make more sense. each 10 team league would have 2 divisions and a conference championship game and that gives you the 8 teams for a playoff.

An 8 team playoff will never happen in our lifetimes and the traditional conferences are never going to disappear.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

There is no real problem as it was obvious to everyone that the regular season isn't a playoff.

The phrase "the regular season is a playoff" is best summed up by this fact: If you go undefeated AND play in a major conference you are guaranteed to play in the BCS National Championship game.

The only year this didn't work is when Auburn got screwed, and it's the only real time the BCS failed. (it was also bs when USC got a split national title and didn't play in the championship game) Teams like Utah and Boise State that don't play in major conferences, it really doesn't matter that they didn't make the championship because they did not play good enough opponents.

If you have a loss you should lose your right to whine and complain about what team makes the title. You gotta problem with that? Well you shouldn't have lost a game then.

Sidenote: the only time a team with a loss beat an undefeated team in the BCS Championship game was when Florida beat Big10 Chumps Ohio State.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The regular season has never been a playoff! Nobody has ever made that point literally! Every game is ultra important but it is not single elimination! Where did you get that?

And if you look at it that way then LSU would not have to play anybody they would have been champions after beating Georgia.

Who would have played them then?

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

How many times does the board have to have this conversation? We've gone over every point in the previous national title thread. I've made every point I can make and you've done the same.

WE'RE GETTING A PLAYOFF! College football is gaining legitimacy after 100 years. Be happy.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

It's kind of like the "corporations are people" comment that got everyone upset. People have to take everything so literally that it makes them stupid and unable to use common sense to understand the point being made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar