Coaching question/challenge

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I haven't made time to research the answer to this question so I'm lamely throwing it out there in hopes somebody else can.

What is the average number (and the range) of years a coach has been with a team before that team won the Super Bowl? (be interesting also to know the average number of years a coach is with a team before getting fired)

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

lol - Assuming you are only considering SB winners and not all coaches I am certain JF is overdue

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think only 26 have won it so far. A few twice. A couple more.

In the early years, I think teams were willing to stick with a coach for a much longer period of time before firing. But there are plenty who only survive one season. Some of the highest-paid coaches now are kept longer because owners are not willing to give up that money for firing a coach before the end of a contract.

In the last five seasons, here are the SB winners:

Bill Belichick, Patriots - 7
    Bill Cowher, Steelers - 14
    Tony Dungy, Colts - 11
    Tom Coughlin, Giants - 12
    Mike Tomlin, Steelers - 2

Then you have George Seifert, Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer who skew the numbers (like Tomlin). All walked into a job with a great team.

Here's every NFL coach to get a better idea:
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

And a list of the Super Bowl winners:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_head_coaches

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

thanks for the links TJ- I really appreciate your help. I'll take a hard look at it later in the day when things let up here a bit.

I'm interested in how long a coach is with a particular organization also before either moving on or winning the SB. Tenure with an organization is an interesting topic to me, especially since there appears to be so many intangibles involved with winning a SB.

Thanks again.

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I think there are so many intangibles at play that, even if you find some kind of statistical correlation between tenure and Super Bowl victories, I doubt you will be able to prove causation. It will still be interesting to see what numbers pop up, though.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I wish someone would skew the numbers by 'walking in' to this great team.

Instead we've got Fish to ruin ours.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Something fresh, Deuce hating on Fisher.

8. TM

TM Starter

Since the salary cap purge 6 years ago the Titans haven't won a single playoff game much less a superbowl. Gotta get to first base before you can score.

9. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Its not even a matter of winning a Super Bowl. I just want to see great improvement, which I haven't. The Titans have been a .500 level team for Fishers entire career. A good season here, a good season there, but I think that if a coach is with a team for 16 years he sure as hell ought to be putting them in the playoffs every year and winning some playoff games. I understand that once you're in the playoffs its anyones game, any team can win it all and theres no real way to predict it. But for a coach to be with a team 16 years and hasn't won a SINGLE playoff game in the past 7, has only been in two playoff games since then, well thats just garbage. Good coaches put their team in position to win the big one, Jeff just doesn't do that.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Worth noting Dungy won the title with the Colts in his 5th year as their coach. Coughlin in his 4th year as Giants coach.

Gruden was 1st year as Bucs coach. Billick won in 2nd season as Ravens coach. Dick Vermeil 3rd year as Rams coach.

A lot of the recent superbowl coaches were head coaches for other NFL franchises prior to winning the superbowl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar