Coaches Need To Stay With What Works Best

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

In the past i've watched this team look brilliant in a game where they played to their strengths of running the ball and just playing punishing defense.Then in the next game the coaches would start tinkering with the gameplan or doing things like having the QB throw thirty times while hardly running the ball.That also goes for the defense and weren't we just told Gray called the first game? The thing that bothers me is just hoping Williams don't start letting Gray mess with what works so far on defense.

The bottom line is we saw what worked very clearly in game one.In our next game we just need to continue to let our stout front dominate the line of scrimmage and have Locker feed C.J.,Greene and Battle the ball most of the game.We also need to play punishing defense and our secondary needs to play exactly the way they played in Pittsburgh.McCourty played a damn good game and batted quite a few passes away preventing completions and Verner came up with a critical interception that led to the score that gave us the lead.

All the coaching staff needs to do is keep on doing what works.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. crypta333

crypta333 Starter

I think they need to start using the passing game more too though. Like someone said 125 yards and 0 tds aint gonna cut it. I think they should run more than pass for now too, but Locker needs to be able to make the big play several times a game in my opinion if we are to be competitive for the playoffs.

3. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

You use the run to set up the pass. Get that safety inching up. Get eight or nine in the box. THEN you sling it.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

People were crying about the play calling, as if they knew what plays were called in, so I agree, stick to running the ball til it stops working.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

What works best differs from week-to-week. I think we'll see the Titans try to establish the run each week as long as it's successful but, at some point, has to be able to take advantage of what the defense gives.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. JCBRAVE

This is true, no team stays exactly the same, but you have to agree with the 'if it aint broke dont fix it' line of thinking.

When we didn't run the ball we saw sacks, QB hits, near interceptions, etc.

I dont want to see us get predictable, but sometimes simple is better.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I run all game long as long as the Titans are winning but it's rare to not be somewhat balanced and be successful.

Even though a lot of the passes were not successful against the Steelers, some were. And it helped to keep them honest against the run.

8. JCBRAVE

Especially considering we open the game on a play action pass

9. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Something that concerns me is Gregg Williams letting Jerry Gray have more of a say so in the play calling especially if we start getting more successful defensively.I often wonder if Williams and Gray would ever have a bit of tension between them considering Gray's sorry ass play calling had us dead last in the league the previous season and here comes Williams and now we are way better.Everyone knows its Williams defense but you have to wonder somewhere down the line if the two can co-exist.I just hope we don't get way better on defense and Williams leaves after the season for a better offer.I do wonder if Williams has the defense in the top five this year teams might start warming up to him again.

10. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I think Gray is calling the plays, and will continue to do so ... where Williams comes in is developing the gameplan throughout the week. So Gray will just be calling plays within the confines of the gameplan he and Williams already developed. Should be okay as long as that keeps going on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar