Rumor Coach Munch is staying...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tim, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amy

amy Starter

And that's why it takes a TEAM to win the BIG ONE. And TEAM includes everyone from the owner to the GM to the coaches to the players. If just one of those parts is out of kelter, then you have trouble. If just one part is a tad better than all other parts, then you have a good season. See Peyton, the Steelers and the Giants. Peyton has saved an otherwise mediocre team and the Steelers and Giants have had meltdowns because the players have run out of steam.

So it is not all Munchak's fault. Sometimes you can fix one part(see Peyton) and a SB is in the works. Sometimes, just one sorry part can wreck an otherwise good system. I haven't figured out which part is out of whack here. Maybe more than one part. And if it's more than one part, then it will take more than a just a new coach to fix. jmo

2. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Yes Amy. This exactly how I feel. I get frustrated because I and others are more insterested in figuring out exactly what IS wrong than just firing who ever is considered "responsible" while others think that just firing Muchak will solve everything. Even after firing the person who is "responsible" (in this case the coach) you still may not have fixed your problem and will follow the same path just with a different guy in charge to get the blame and then later be fired himself, see the Cleaveland Browns. Sometimes reading this board is like hearing the inner monologue of Henry the VIII.

3. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

But its the coach's job to find the problem and fix it. We can all see there is a problem, and Munch has had 3 years to find it and fix it. He hasn't done that. Time to hire a new coach to see if he can pinpoint and fix the problems

It's like you have a problem with your car so you hire a mechanic. Its been a week and he he can't fix your car, and isn't even sure what the problem is yet, but you give him 'more time' (and spend more money) on letting him try to fix it. Afterall, the mechanic didn't break your car, so why fire him right? ... it makes no sense. What any normal person would do is you go out and find a new mechanic that can get the job done.

4. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

The more apt analogy is you take your car to the mechanic because your transmission went. You ask the mechanic to fix your transmission and finds/installs a brand new transmission just like you asked. 2 days later the transmission goes again. You bring it back and this time he replaces it with another brand new transmission at no cost to you. You even watch him put it in (provided you even know what you're looking at" and he did it correctly. A day later the transmission goes out again. You know it's not the mechanic's fault as he's done all he could but you're no closer to having an adequate vehicle. You could take the car to another mechanic out of frustration but chances are you're going to end up junking it and buying a new car (more talent). Not a perfect analogy by any stretch but I think it works.

5. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

so you are saying then that you know what the problem is, and Munch has taken all the necessary steps to correct it? I call BS on that.

I think the even more apt analogy is you take your car to the mechanic because your transmission went. He orders the right transmission, but allows his employees to install it ... they install the transmission, but don't fit it in quite right. The car works a little better than before, but still not quite right. So you bring it back to the same mechanic for an adjustment. The make it a little better, but still not installed perfectly.

Also when you brought it back for an adjustment the mechanic also decides to redo your brakes (which were working just fine) ... and now suddenly you start noticing a problem with them too ... time for a new mechanic

Also I forgot to mention that the mechanic changes the settings on your stereo to only NPR and other boring stations that you now have to listen to every day haha (ok, that part was just a joke)

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Are there any teams that have not yet declared what they are doing with their head coaching situation?

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Giants, Raiders, Titans and Dolphins. Although most think Philbin is safe.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I just might be in that same boat. I really don't know if I could ever truly give up on this team. But if we are dumb enough to reward this mediocre scrub with an extension then I guess I'm going to find out.

9. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Pretty sure Giants came out and said Coughlin is safe, maybe that was just a rumor.

But still. Do we really want to be lumped in any same category as the Raiders and Dolphins? (Besides SB wins and Undefeated streak lol)

10. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I honestly believe that I know what's wrong with the team because it's pretty obvious. We don't have a good enough QB and the line played horribly. Munch did everything within his power to fix the o-line. Guard was byfar our weakest position so he brought in the widely regarded best OG in free agency on the first damn day, He then drafted the consensus best OG prospect in NFL history. Rather than be complacent and stick with Velasco who played well last season Munch then signed Rob Turner and successfully upgraded the Center position by drafting 4th round rookie Brian Schweke. When Turner didn't work out he switched to Schwenke who wuld have most likely started had he not suffered his first career hamstring injury which held him out of training camp for weeks. That sure seems to me like he did his best and it just didn't work out.

Our other huge weakness is QB. Munch signed Fitzpatrick who was referred to as the best back up QB in the NFL and got Jake Locker to flash some promising potential before he got injured (Which Munch had prepared for). He put Fitzpatrick in and the play calling/offensive scheme was noticeably different when Fitz was in there which means adjustments were made to put him in the best position to win by playing to his strengths. Fitz started ok and then proceeded to implode at the end of games not due to bad plays being called but because of physical/mental mistakes in the form of picks. I don't see how much of this is even debatable because this is exactly how things went down.

These are not the actions of some plodding idiot who sat on his hands and did nothing. He recognized our problems and attempted to correct them many times more than once (see the returner situation). It didn't work. Sometimes in life you do everything within your power and still fall short.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar