Coach-Envy: Rex Ryan

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by World Peace, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You can't argue with getting to the afc championship 2 years in a row with a young 1st and 2nd year QB.

It is the coach and the organization both and even coaches with talent can't beat Manning and Brady in the playoffs like that.

They as an organization do agressively go out and get players to help their team and that was before Ryan got there like Edwards and Holmes and Bart scott, and Cromartie. Calvin Pace was a bust with the Cardinals and has been a good player for the Jets.

Their defense is very unusual and i do give the coaching credit for that. They are getting production out of geriatric guys like Shaun Ellis, Trevor Price and Jason Taylor. Many of their front 7 guys are players nobody knows much about and one of their highest draft choice in recent years, Gholston rides the bench.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

People here hate the guy for some reason. I've said all along- he's everything you'd want in a coach. Plus, he holds himself accountable when things go wrong.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Breaking down the Jets defense..

I don't think they are an awesomely talented defense. Maybe better than average but not automatically a top 5 defense. The coaches deserve a lot of credit Ryan and Mike Pettine the DC.

Inside-To start their front 3 in their 3-4 are hardly dominant household names. Poua is their NT, Devito and Ellis their Ends. Devito? Is that Danny's nephew? Poua is not in the same category as a Ngata, Wilfork or Hampton. He is a 31 year old guy who eats up space. Devito is ok but at 305 he is hardly a difference maker inside. Shaun Ellis is 33 years old, a former 1st rd pick and is playing motivated football but could hardly be called elite. A backup end is Trevor Price who is older than Ellis a former pro bowl 4-3 guy at Denver he bulked up a bit to play the 3-4 for the Ravens and is at the end of his career.

Outside-The pass rush on the outside comes from the OLB Thomas, Pace and Taylor. Thomas a 2002 first rd pick was basically a bust until the 3-4 was installed when Mangini came there. He is not in any way the same caliber player that Suggs, harrison or Woodley are. Taylor is 75 years old and Pace a former bust with the Cardinals has been a solid pass rusher but again not elite.

ILB-Are first rate with Scott and Harris. Scott an established player with the Ravens came to the Jets last year and Harris a younger guy a 2nd rd pick out of Michighan has a nice combination of size and speed for that postion. Both are good against the run and in coverage.

CB-Revis was the best Cb in the NFL last year but started the season injured and hasn't been nearly as good most of this year but is playing his best football now. Cromartie is a solid CB, not elite but his size and athleticism matches up well with bigger Wrs.

Safety-The Jets have had injuries there with Leonard out for the season. They have nobody anywhere near the caliber of Palamalu or Reed. Pool is a 6 year player with nothing remarkable in his career e had one int this year. Smith is a backup at SS and has played well for them.

Backups-Kyle Wilson is a decent NB but a rookie. Dwight Lowry backs up a safety and dime packages and can be a liability in coverage. Vernon Gholston is a bust with no ideal position.

In summary this is a 3-4 defense that does not have as many elite front line players as the Ravens, Steelers or Bears nor are they as deep as the Giants. The Jets have an interesting mix of talented players that can be moved around and used in blitz packages and some good leadership. They are maybe the 10th most talented defense in the league in talent and are not a defense you can just play straight up with and dominante or beat a Brady or a Manning.

The last 2 years the Jets are 1 and 2 respectively in total defense and 1st and 6th in scoring defense. the 2 years before Ryan they were 16th and 18th in total defense. I would grade the coaching on the defensive side of the ball an A.

I would give the coachibg staff an A

4. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I really like Ryan as a coach. He is always confident and he has fun. I like it when players talk. It makes things more fun and I don't think it has any real bearing on the game.

On that note, I really miss Keith Bulluck.

5. amy

amy Starter

Great coaches can coach great players to wins and not-so-great players to win. It appears the Jets have those coaches. The human factor is what gives the Jets the edge. They will sack Ben more than once next week and they will win. I lived in NE PA rooted for the Eagles when Buddy Ryan was coaching them. The apple did not fall far from the tree, I assure you.

6. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I am one of those who doesn't like him. I don't like his style, and the way he hustles to an open mic everytime one is around.

That said, I cannot argue with his success...he has done a good job with a pretty talented team. This weekend's game will be interesting.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I like Rex Ryan's style of coaching. He's real with his players and fans. If something's bothering the man, the whole world knows. He's the exact opposite of Titans coach Jeff Fisher. He's taken a mediocre football program, and put them in the upper echelon of better teams. Until Rex went to New York, the Jets were the ugly step brother to the Giants. Now, Jet fans hold their heads high and proud, and never shut up. It kind of sucks living among them here, but Jets fans are far more passionate than any Giants fans. The Jets are taking over New York, and it's because of their head football coach. IMO they've over achieved. I had them wining 9 games at the most this year, and the fact that they keep backing into the playoffs only to upset every team crossing their paths, only says how damn good of a team they really are. It's going to suck major big time if I have to deal with them winning a Super Bowl.

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I like Ryan as a coach and think as a person he can be funny.

I also think he's created one of the most obnoxious, self-centered teams in the league, without having won anything major.

When they win the Super Bowl this year, I'll just have to grin and bare their bull, because annoying as they'll all be, they'll have earned it. If they lose, I'm going to continue to call them a bunch of overrated a**holes. There's a way to be confident and have gusto, and there's being a bunch of dickheads and over-inflate your self worth.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You're right, but being a bunch of dickheads is their game plan. They want you feeling some kind of way towards them, it plays into what they're trying to do. And sadly it's working. Plus they're from New York (New Jersey really), but to survive in the Big Apple, you gotta be tough.

10. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

I can't stand Rex Ryan, and I ALWAYS root for him to lose. That said, he's a whole heck of a lot better than Jeff Fisher! I don't guess that's really saying much though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar