Coach Calipari heading to Kentucky?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Deuce Wayne, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

They definately blew the hire last go round. I think they had all their eggs in one basket, that being Donovan, and then he turned them down. Gillispi is a good coach, but there is a difference in coaching Kentucky than there is Texas A&M. Not everyone can handle the type of pressure and environment that surrounds UK basketball.

2. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Calipari's classes at UK, if he goes there, won't be any better than the ones he is getting in Memphis. He was getting the absolute top talent in the country at Memphis. Another issue will be the pressure to take home grown talent that UK fans desire to have playing at UK.

3. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

im pretty sure the reason Kentucky wants Calipari is due to his ability to bring in top 10 national recruits...and i'm also pretty sure the Kentucky fan base, as well as the boosters, could give a rats *** where the recruits come from as long as they get to the Elite 8 or better....now if they don't win that's a different story.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

But that's the thing. He's BEEN bringing in the top national recruits at memphis, where the academic standard is probably even lower than it is in the SEC.
    He can't get any better talent.

So he'll be playing in a tougher conference with the same talent, and iffy coaching. Will never work out. But he probably knows this, but just wants to cash in on what they're offering.

5. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

my point is, his recruiting class next year is the best pre-season class he's ever put together...meaning his recruits are getting better

6. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Bud....

You could not be more incorrect about Kentucky fans. The old school bluebloods love having hometown heros on their team. You look back at the situation with Richie Farmer. You get some small town white kid who is a say a top 50 recruit and the pressure will be on to get him. UK fans love having Mr. Basketball on their team. Perfect example where it might occur is Jon Hood. He is a good player, but no where near as good as the plays Cal has recruited. If Cal was to tell Hood that he wasn't the right fit for that team and Hood walked, you would have alot of rumblings.

That being said...I'm starting to think that Cal is staying in Memphis. The big money guys apparently are stepping in to up the ante. If Cal does stay, Memphis needs to aggressively try to get out of CUSA and into a legit conference. Not sure which one, but something more competitive.

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Not sure how accurate that is. Tubby turned down Lofton and Brewer, both basically local players (though Brewer was from a TN-KY border town), and I dont remember people being upset about that, except for the fact they ended up being great players.

And Richie Farmer, John Pelphery, Deron Feldhaus, etc were at KY because Kentucky was on probation when they were recruited. As soon as KY was off probation and Pitino was able to recruit all over the nation, he immediately did that. I think you are making a little much of the local importance. Sure, everyone likes to see guys they know play at big schools, but as long as he wins it wont matter if he has a single Kentucky player on the roster.

8. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Having family that lives in KY and close family friends (whose daughter married and then was divorced to one of the most prominent UK players during Pitino's run), I can tell you there will be a large faction that will be upset if a Mr. Basketball "hero" isn't offered. Not saying it will be a huge problem, but will be there. Pitino didn't go after Richie Farmer at first and there was a loud uproar. Now whether or not it means that Pitino recruited him because of that or not, but I can tell you it did have an affect.

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Pitino didnt have a choice but to go after players like Farmer because they were on probation. They couldnt compete in postseason play or have their games televised. So it isnt as if he was going to get top tier recruits to come to a program where nobody could even see them play. As soon as he got the program turned around and they were off probation, he immediately began going after Wayne Turner from Boston, Antoine Walker from Chicago, Ron Mercer from Nashville, Jeff Shepard from Atlanta, etc etc etc. Sure, Scott Padgett was from Louisville and on the team, but he was also a future NBA player so it isnt as if he was on the team simply because he was from Kentucky. Even Travis Ford started out at Missouri because Pitino didnt make a major push for him, then he transferred.

10. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar