Clowney

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tricky, Aug 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

I predict Dolphins 1st then Redskins 2nd

2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Wow. That’s a completely subjective comment that I’m gonna take seriously. Thank you.

To be ranked top 10 in the D, youn would have tomconsider an entire body of regular season work. So that said, SB contenders (winner/loser/most of the conf championship teams) have a tough D, typically within the top 10.
    The way the SB game actually plays out is irrelevant to my point.

3. HurrayTitans!

I think he stays put.

4. Daqueef

Daqueef Special Teams Standout

Lol. To say the defense wins championship is pretty dumb. Neither one really favors the other. Majority of teams that win are well balanced.

During the last 20 years, the opposite of the defensive mantra has also happened. Teams with great offenses but mediocre defenses have come out on ahead, such as the 2006 Colts (second offense, 23rd defense) or the 2008 Saints (first offense, 20th defense). There have also been a couple of weird years where the Giants and Ravens won without being better than 10th in either offense or defense.

The high scoring 2018 season certainly falls outside of the “defense wins championship” boundaries both in the regular season and in the playoffs. The four teams that went into the AFC and NFC Championship games (Chiefs, Rams, Saints, Patriots) rank 1 through 4 in scoring offense. Only the Patriots rank in the top 10 in defense at No. 4. The Saints are at 14 while the Rams and Chiefs are at 20 and 24.

To assume that defense has the upper hand in this era is pretty ridiculous.

Also, since 2003, four Super Bowl winners have finished either first or second in scoring defense (’08 Steelers, ’10 Packers, ’13 Seahawks, ’16 Patriots). Even within these years of a dominant defensive team winning the title, the Super Bowl has sometimes turned into an offensive shootout as in 2003 between the Patriots and Panthers (32-29), 2010 between the Packers and Steelers (31-25) or 2016 with the Patriots and Seahawks (34-28). In spite of the Eagles and Patriots both finishing in the top five on defense in the 2017 season, they played a memorable 41-33 offensive shoutout in a Super Bowl where defense mattered only a little.

5. HurrayTitans!

1 year earlier the 4 finals teams were 1,2,4,5 defensively but I will concede, you are correct it takes a balance. Those are truly the best teams. I will point out the Rams last season and Saints of 2009 (their SB year), were also league leaders in takeaways. There are also teams that still prove that not having an offense can still win, the 2015 broncos for example.
    I dont think the SB game itself is necessarily indicative to what got teams there, so occasionaly we see a game where both teams may actually be playing outside of what they had all season.

But to my original post.
    I Said that I don’t think the Texans (or any team) will fair well by using a team with a bad defense, forcing the offense to win shootouts. (Paraphrased, didn’t go back to look it up) Of course this is based on my assumption that the Texans D would be terrible without Clowney and as I joked Watt injured again.

I know the defensive/offensive argument is subjective. I think we are seeing examples of the offense with mediocre defenses succeeding more than historically. I still don’t know that I’ve seen a bad defense win while we still see bad offenses with good defenses win.

6. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Apparently Houston wants Tunsil.. Miami is unwilling to include him and teammates wouldn't be happy if they did

Report: Dolphins players would 'revolt' if team trades Tunsil for Clowney

7. Tricky

Tricky Starter

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. Daqueef

Daqueef Special Teams Standout

That '15 Broncos defense is probably one if not the best defense we've ever witnessed. Those defenses dont come every year.

9. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

This. They'd be scary if they had a good OL.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. HurrayTitans!

Based on what?
    Disagree on the greatness level of that D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar