Clements or Samuel?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ROCKYMTNTITAN, Feb 6, 2007.

?
  1. Nate Clements

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Asante Samuel

28 vote(s)
    60.9%
  3. Freeney?

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Other suggestions?

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jason david..

Younger and faster than harper he is only 24, entering his 4th season. Has been a starter since his rookie year and played well.

A RFA with the colts but they are not in a position to offer big money to him.

Wouldn't we be better off with this guy and a gabril wilson vs one samuel?

David would provide nice competition with hill and finnigan for starting conrer and would be great at nickel if he didn't start. That would give us 4 young and talented corners with pacman-finnigan-david-hill plus any rookies we drafted. Only problem is that they are all small..

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

he certainly whiffed that tackle on Vince Young.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

So did a lot of players gunny..

Wilson had 100 tackles each of the last 2 seasons and had 8 passes defended this year. He is a good player..

4. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I love that we have so much cap room. Its like going shopping after receiving your bonus check and all credit is payed off.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think we'll be blown away by what we'll see the first week in March.

6. What about Fred Smoot?

I can't help but throw his name in the mix. Fred Smoot is a 26 year old quality corner back that is on the verge of being released or traded from the vikings. Like Clement he to is a physical corner that makes plays and plays the deep ball well. He signed with the vikings for $34 mill over six years last year and he got benched halfway through the season.As he was quoted "I'm not riding pine for nobody." He butted heads with Childress as soon as he got there so things didn't start off to well. Just figured i'd throw that out there and see what people think?

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Fred smoot?

Not a bad idea. I hope he isn't looking for $6M a year again.

I guess we can say there is a character issue there in that he got a big contract and disappeared as a player and had a terrible year. I can't believe the vikings are willing to eat all that signing bonus but they may feel they have to.

Isn't smoot's situation with the vikings a warning for us? I would hate to sign someone to a big contract and have him sit behind finnigan by the end of the year.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Roll...

Well, Finnegan held up very well for the only game they started him there. However, they obviously DON'T want to start him or they would have left him there. I think he can start, but how well he'd hold up over a full season is anyone's guess.

I would venture to say that Fuller, Lowry and Finnegan would all be better starting FS's than Lamont. However, because none of them got a real opportunity to play, that too is rampant speculation (though it's hard to believe anyone could be much worse).

So while we can guess that Finnegan at RCB and Lowry at FS with Fuller at the Nickel would be instant upgrades....why didn't they do that during the season? So the problem isn't whether they can play better, it's whether the coaching staff would give them the chance.....which at this point seems doubtful.

That leaves us with going after a CB and FS in fa/draft. There is one Pro Bowl cb in Clements and one near guy in Samuel. Harper's pretty decent but at least a full notch below. Afterall, how would he hold up with only OUR passrush? And frankly, I wouldn't want to pay an avg-slightly above avg CB $6mil a year!

And while Hamlin and Grant are decent players...I hardly want to pay them big bucks either...especially since there is a lot of good S prospects in the draft. And Grant has been on 2 excellent defenses...neither of whom want to keep him (and he hasn't really produced much statistically either). Hamlin has been used more and more around the LOS as the 8th man in the box (like Hope) and Seattle's pass D hasn't been top notch either. I'm not sold on either player being anywhere near Pro Bowl caliber...so I'll pass and go after a S in the draft or hope a Finnegan/Fuller/Lowry can 'beat' out Lamont (who should be cut after the last season and his contract).

So we SHOULD spend the big money on one of the the top 2 CB's and another impact player (Freeney, Thomas, ect). A Pro Bowl CB (plus a Lowry/Fuller/Finnegan/Nelson/Landry/ect) will be more valueable to us than a combo of Harper and Grant considering we'll get (should have an upgrade of Lamont anyway).

Gut

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

The only players I'd give the Colts a draft pick for (and help their cap) are Freeney and McFarland.

Pass...

And the same for Gibril Wilson. He's been up and down with the Gints. We can just as easily find a similar player in the middle of the draft. Plus, then we'd have to sign him to a bigger contract the following year. I'd rather have the cheaper for longer draft pick.

Gut

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tj...

THAT'S FOR SURE!!!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar